Free Choice Minierals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnShadowsFarm

Reaction score
Been thinking about adding these to my "program" and looking for recomendations. I assume there may be some formulations specific to region to consider. I'm in So. Calif...and suggestions?

Thanks!

Felicia

Opps! I meant to type "Minerals"....but in this case "Minierals" works too!!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Purina 12:12, our vet tells us to keep it in front of them all the time and we do. I know the mineral for cattle he said won't hurt but won't help, he said to use the Purnina 12:12, made for horses.

I have tried the free choice mineral from Fleet Farm. My horses eat it somewhat but much of it goes to waste. I have since switched to Purina 12-12 and they like that so much better. My vet (who is also Marnie's vet) says to keep it in front of your horses all the time.

I give Dynamite free choice minerals and it is available at all times. Sometimes it seems like they never touch it, then all of a sudden it's almost all gone.

OK....since I feed Purina products...I thought I might try the Purina 12:12. But how the heck to you find it?????

I've searched the internet & went to Purina's Equine site...and can't find any info on it anywhere.
unsure.gif

Do you get yours from the feed stores where you buy your feed?

I feed Purina 12 12 minerals too. There's a container in every field I have. This is the first mineral I ever had that the horses actually will eat it so i have used it now for over 15 years.

Dona, any purina dealer should carry this or be able to order it in for you.
biggrin.gif

Can you leave this stuff out when it rains -- really rains, like here in northwest Oregon?

Susanne.

I always keep mine in one of those feeders that hook over the fence but I do keep it under my lean to's where the rain can't get at it.

I don't think you could keep it out where it would get rained on but "maybe" that has worked for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Progressive Nutritions' Alfalfa Mineral designed for horses on alfalfa hay. They also make a grass formula. Here's the website Progressive Nutritions Alfalfa Mineral

I feed the blocks for my breeding herd and keep them in a holder under the loafing sheds in the individual dry lots. In the pasture, I got smart last winter and bought one of those hooded pasture mineral feeders. It works great and keeps the minerals out of the rain.

I use the loose minerals for my show horses and feed it to them once a day.

Becky,

What are the hooded pasture mineral feeders? They sound like something I would like to have for my minis.

Is that something that you can buy at a Fleet Farm store?

Thanks ahead for any info on them.

Here's what I bought for a pasture mineral feeder. Twister Mineral Feeder. I got this one at Tractor Supply, but you should be able to find them at any farm store, I would think. It works great and keeps the minerals from getting soaked and disappearing!

I use Purina 12 12 the horses love it. It seems to have more selenium than other horse loose minerals I have used and the horses like it much better..I also have trace mineral blocks in every stall and sheds .wWhat has really been an eye opener for me is adding a white salt block along with the mineral blocks and loose minerals...they are eating all three more than ever...

Anybody know if Nutrena puts out a product similar to Purina's 12-12 mineral? I can't get Purina around here, there are no dealers, but I can get Nutrena.

Thanks.

I can't find the Purina 12-12 online to see what the ingredient balnce is. Anybody have a link to the product and ingredient list???

The ONLY Purina mineral product I can find is for CATTLE and I'm not sure that the nutritional needs of cattle and horses are all the same...???

( We feed a free choice mineral to our Camelids that is SPECIES SPECIFIC, to meet their requirements)

Another question I have is...are they eating it because it's the right balance of nutrients or are they eating it because it's got artificial additives to make it appealing. Many of the free choice products I've looked at do...and I don't want that for my horses.... (no flames please!...just MY preference!! )

Purina 12:12® Horse Mineral

Purina Mills, Inc.

Calcium (CA) not less then <12% not more then >14%

Phosphorus (P) < 12% [1200 ppm]

Salt (NA) < 4.5% > 5.5%

Selenium (SE) < .0036% [36 ppm]

Iodine (I) < .004% [4 ppm]

Magnesium (MG) < .4% [4000 ppm]

Iron (Fe) < .43% [4300 ppm]

Cobalt (CO) < .0009% [0.9 ppm]

Copper (CU) < .08% [800 ppm]

Manganese (MN) < .34% [3400 ppm]

Zinc (ZN) < .34% [340 ppm]

Sulfur (S) < .1% [1000 ppm]

Vitamin A < .80,000 I's per LB.

Purina Mills, Inc.

1401 South Hanley Road

St. Louis, Missouri 63144-2987 or

P. O. Box 66812

St. Louis, Missouri 63166-6812

Phone: (800) 227-8941 - Fax: (314) 768-4894

mailto:[email protected]

Purina-Mills online Guaranteed analysis from Purina January 2001

Conversion Factors

0.1% = 1000 ppm (Move decimal four places to the right)

1 ppm = 1 mg/kg

1 ppm = 0.45 mg/lb

1 mg/lb = 2.2 ppm or 2.2 mg/kg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest posts

Back