Free choice hay in Florida

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsrascal

Reaction score
I am looking for a good option for my minis to have free choice hay in Florida. Right now they have a pasture block of alfalfa but due to the high calcium and general laminitis risk, I want something safer. My pasture is essentially sugar sand so I'd like to make hay their main food source. Anybody have success with something similar?

The bigger issue with alfalfa is usually the protein and high calorie content, it shouldn't be fed free choice.
What grass hays are available to you? Timothy? Bermuda? [Coastal is a type of Bermuda, but seems to have a higher incidence of colic if fed straight, so must be fed with another type of hay, something to do with the coarseness of it.] Orchardgrass? Any, straight grass hay can be free fed or nearly free fed.
While it's usually a high sugar/starch content that leads to laminitis in susceptible equines; alfalfa (which is low in both) is often too rich to feed straight plus it's hard to balance the minerals in alfalfa (the high calcium takes quite a bit of phosphorus, which is rather unpalatable, to balance). Many places that sell hay have hay analysis available, so if they do, if you find hay that is less than 10-12% sugar plus starch (the lower the starch the better, usually), that is great for easy keepers and those prone to laminitis.
It's still early for me, so if something doesn't make sense, just ask and I'll try to explain more.

Back