Frantic Rolling preggo mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I have been soo busy the last 4 mos. that I havent had time to even look/read on the forum...my poor horses are just now finally getting back to their regular grooming schedules. They all look good just one that I think got a little heavier than I would like but a little round pen or nice driving weather should shed those lbs pretty quick... I hope.

I know that even now, I am going to have a hard time typing this but I will try. In Feb. my poor Holly lost her baby, she was 7mo and all was completely well when I fed at 7am. checked all horses before leaving for work about an hour 1/2 later and she was nibbling her hay with the other horses but as I approached she just looked "smaller"...I went in a different gate and walked right to her first and can remember thinking...wierd...looked under her tail ( not sure what I was looking for )and she was as clean and dry as ever...nothing out of the ordinary. She just looked smaller....made a mental note to read about body shape changes in my foaling book when I get home. I walked up to the stalls to water and that was when my heart stopped and my world fell apart. Her baby was still in the sac with the placenta about a foot away. So much was running through my head...I still cant believe it...this was going to be my first foal and I thought I was doing every thing right...I had so many fun things planned and even talked my husband in to having a new foaling barn built for Holly and her baby..closer to the house so I could really keep a close eye on things.It was completely built but I was just waiting for time to put in dirt and lay mats down so horses were not even stabled in it yet. She was the one that I just knew would give me my first baby...now I had to make the dreaded phone call Marty. What do I say, she is the rock in all my dilemas, wants only the best for her horses,my horses and me. now I have to tell her that Holly is no longer pregnant. Oh Marty...Im so sorry.When Im ready and Holly has had time to rest perhaps we will try again. Anyway, still trying to type....vet arrived. Checked the placenta, Holly, foal. He thinks from the decomp that the foal had died about a day before and that Holly knew it was gone and aborted it. He said if there was ever such a thing as a perfect miscarriage that this would be it. Still does not make it any easier. If you were to look at Holly even 2 hrs. later you would never know that she just had a miscarriage. Rest in peace beautiful little colt.

My problem now is that I do have 1 more little preggo that is due July 17. The problem is, that all I know, is that she has had 3 foals all healthy but I dont know any stats....delivering early?late? any red bags? She is small only about 28" and she is the one that Im the most nervous about because I do not know too much about her foaling history.

I cringe every time I see her move in any way that might hurt her baby and I feel like Im walking on egg shells with her. But my reason for this post is to ask about mares rolling when in foal. I know it is wierd but she loves loves loves to be bathed as long as the water is running on her but the second I stop the water she gets stressed and really figetty...she wants to get down and roll...sometimes even while still being tied after baths she will try to drop down on her legs, shake her head and just really become a major fuss bucket. When she wasnt preggo I really didnt care if she went out and rolled...got dirty...shes a hoot to watch because she will roll frantically for 15 min. up and down...she's really quite funny and so dramatic. But now I worry she gets too stressed if I make her stand and dry off ( even if I put out hay for her to nibble )she just acts like a lunatic untill she rolls and rolls and rolls. Should I just stop with the baths? Sometimes I used to just rinse to cool her off so she feels better but now Im afraid to even do that. Any ideas or thoughts...or am I just being too over protective.Thanks for any help you can give

heidi

Since it worries you (and it would worry me too, better to be safe than sorry), I say stop the baths until after she foals.

My condolences on the loss of your other foal, but glad to hear that Holly is just fine.

I would stop the baths. Expecially as she gets heavier in foal.

So sorry about the loss of your other foal.
default_no.gif

I'm so sorry to hear about Holly's foal
default_no.gif
The tragedies that come with mini foals are hard to bear. I pray that your other mare has a healthy beautiful baby to heal your heart
default_yes.gif
I agree, let her be a little dirty until she foals, then you can give her a spa day
default_aktion033.gif

I too am so sorry for the loss of your foal, but glad your mare is ok. And yes it can make you
default_new_shocked.gif
about every little thing that goes on after that, just worrying about what could happen next. I always tell people breeding Minis is not for the faint of heart!

Horses all like to roll when wet, but I agree to not bath her til after she foals now.. just regular grooming. Hope all goes well and we get a wonderful foal announcement from you when it's time!!

Maybe its time to get that harness back on Holly! She's ok, she's fine, she's happy and she's a pig. Mostly, she could not be in better hands.

Try not to be so nervous and keep as calm as you can. Rolling for 15 minutes with a pregnant horse would upset me too. I don't think I would be doing a lot of baths either if its causing your other mare excessive rolling and thrashing about. By her due date it will be terribly hot down there so keep her comfortable under your fans. How about letting her play in the kiddie pool?
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back