Frankenstorm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
I can't believe this is going to hit the North East US and hopefully it will not impact southern Ontario and southern Quebec as well.

Back in 1998 in Ontario and Quebec we were hit with what was dubbed at the time "the perfect storm" by our media in Canada, 3 seperate weather fronts that ended up smacking into each other. We were without power and heat in January, some in remote areas for a month. I was personally without power and heat for a little over two weeks while my husband enjoyed his two weeks of golf in the baha peninsula, grrrrrr. When he got back he ensured as he said "we will never go throught that again" and promptly bought a LARGE generator. Funny how he said "we" when the only thing he endured was one day without power on the day he returned from his holiday, lol. That storm is known as the famous icestorm of 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998

Here is the warning for this storm and I see that they are calling for a possibility of over 2 feet of snow for Virginia area.

Time to stock on on what you need just in case the power goes out for an extended period of time.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/historic-frankenstorm-threatens-us-east-coast

Last edited by a moderator:
Been watching the developing story here as we are in Virginia. I hope everything will be okay for all our members.

Gee....on the thread I started, I didn't think up a nifty name!!! LOL Been tracking it here in NC too. Hope it will veer off into tbe ocean, and not just creep along the coast dumping on EVERYBODY!!

Yikes! Be safe all you folks back there in the path of this thing!!!

Gee....on the thread I started, I didn't think up a nifty name!!!
FOX News has been calling it "Frankenstorm" for a couple of days now
default_smile.png

We are in the path of this storm and praying it isn't as bad as projected. Half our corn still in the field. Lots of old trees around here...ugh. go away frankenstorm!

Guess that's what I get for watching too much Univision (Spanish language!)...LOL Neither Raleigh nor Myrtle Beach channels called it this...can they have a name monopoly?

That name makes me think of slow, lumbering and stumbling over barriers causing much damage. Hope Sandy doesn't live up to THAT image!

Those of you who are in the states being mentioned should start preparing now is what they are saying, especially those with livestock. They are predicting major flooding, heavy snow possibly in Virginia, maybe as far inland as Ohio. Lots of damaging winds. Major power outages, so stock up on candles, batteries. If you have generators get them ready and get extra fuel for your generators. If you are on wells you may want to stock up on water for yourselves and your animals. They have apparently, the state of New York, put in place linesmen from as far as New Mexico to be on alert to come help with downed power lines.

After what we went through back in 1998, with the famous ice storm I mentioned above, I am now prepared at all times for a repeat. We were lucky at the time because we were not on a well but we were hauling water from my house, on a daily basis, to farms that needed water for livestock. My horses were at a boarding stable about 10 miles away. We were in early winter and the house was darn cold but we had a wood stove in the basement, that was it to heat the house, and prayed that the pipes didn't burst. Some dairy farmers lost some of their stock. A few people died. It was pretty scary but the Canadian army came to help us and some of your wonderful linesmen came to help us restore power. I remember looking outside after the first 24 hours of freezing rain and with the lines down, the trees destroyed, broken like matchsticks......it truly looked like a bomb had gone off.

So please take the warnings they are putting out seriously. Better to be prepared for the worse and hope the storm is less than what they think it will be.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully the storm goes out to sea ..... be safe everyone!!

we're in southern NJ and we may get a direct hit we are about 50 miles from the ocean ...all I can say is Yikes!!!.

we've been starting to get ready we have 4 large rubbermaid water tubs from when we had full size horses. filling those 1 at each barn and 1 at the house to flush the toilet ...jeezz
default_sad.png

we have a generator but can't run it while its raining as we have no cover for it. so I hope we don't loose electric again although its better than loosing it in 90 degree weather. The horses are always in their stalls at night, but they will be tucked in during the day too I'm sure. In the mares barn we can take turns with letting them loose 1 at a time in the hallway so their not so closed in.

I sure hope its not as bad as they say. Everyone stay safe and prayers to all... that we all get through this safely

Another thing I thought of is make sure you have emergency numbers handy so you don' t have to go around the house searching for phone numbers. Get a buddy list going where each of you can check up on those on your list. Of course make sure you have enough food for yourselves, your animals, in case you can't get out. If the power goes the bank ATM machines won't work so have some cash on hand. I am not trying to scare anybody just remembering what helped us get through the two weeks we had no power. You can always cook on a BBQ or a wood stove, or a camping stove.

Lori,

If you are in a zone that can possibly flood, and it looks like it is going to be a close hit, I would strongly recommend loading all of your animals in a trailer and moving inland. I'm sure there are volunteer farms that would house you animals for you for a few days until it's safe to return.

I've dealt with the aftermath of several bad hurricanes and it's really, really hard on people, but even much worse on the animals. It's so much better just to move inland and get out of the way of danger if at all possible.

Wendy

Lori,

If you are in a zone that can possibly flood, and it looks like it is going to be a close hit, I would strongly recommend loading all of your animals in a trailer and moving inland. I'm sure there are volunteer farms that would house you animals for you for a few days until it's safe to return.

I've dealt with the aftermath of several bad hurricanes and it's really, really hard on people, but even much worse on the animals. It's so much better just to move inland and get out of the way of danger if at all possible.

Wendy
Thank you for the warning Wendy and it was appreciated, but luckily we are very fortunate that our house and barns are up on a hill, we never have any water problems. And with the sandy soil never even any mud after a heavy rain. So water wise we are fine here. we are surrounded by trees but they are all at least 300 feet from the buildings so tree wise we're good.

But it's still a worry till its past. as far as electric and wind.

Stay safe everyone!!!! What a scarey storm!!

Make sure you have your vehicles full of gas as if the power is out, the gas pumps won't work.

Please check in on here as you can!

We survived sandy here. Still have power for now. Horses and goats cows and family are all ok. Big tree fell here and took out some fencing for me. I almost moved my goats into that fenced in area so I could check on them easier..looked at that tree and had a deja-vu and left them in the farther field instead. My radar must have been working it would have been disaster if they got out during the storm. Such a relief every time I checked on everybody to see their little heads peeking out of their shelters. Glad nothing fell on my barn and glad huts didn't blow over and thankful the roof stayed on. We all got soaked all day tending to the milking cows and heifers..it was great getting home and still having power..best hot shower I ever had. Hope the rest of all of you in Sandy's path mad out ok and your family and critters are all ok and safe. Check in when you can.

We survived sandy here. Still have power for now. Horses and goats cows and family are all ok. Big tree fell here and took out some fencing for me. I almost moved my goats into that fenced in area so I could check on them easier..looked at that tree and had a deja-vu and left them in the farther field instead. My radar must have been working it would have been disaster if they got out during the storm. Such a relief every time I checked on everybody to see their little heads peeking out of their shelters. Glad nothing fell on my barn and glad huts didn't blow over and thankful the roof stayed on. We all got soaked all day tending to the milking cows and heifers..it was great getting home and still having power..best hot shower I ever had. Hope the rest of all of you in Sandy's path made out ok and your family and critters are all ok and safe. Check in when you can.

We survived here with no damage except a piece of white fascia blown off from some building.Horses are out today and life is back to normal(whatever that is for here)we were very lucky since it could have been much worse.Need to call my friends near Dover who have several horses raised by me.They live in the woods and have some low ground.Keeping all of you in surrounding areas in my prayers.I know from watching TV that river rose was in a bad area storm wise and Eckbolds in NJ were also in a hard hit area.some people in this area lost power but we were fortunate and didn't.Prayers again for all of you in bad areas with storm destruction.

Latest posts

Back