Frame Overo Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

kayla221444

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
523
Reaction score
0
Location
Port Leyden ny
I would like to know some more information on a frame overos. If a horse is a frame overo does it mean it is deffinatly LWO +? Also if a frame overo is bred will she have an overo foal for sure or does she have to test positive for LWO +? Also when bay is bred to cremello will you get a buckskin 100% of the time? Or can you get any other color from that cross.

Thanks Ahead of time.
 

targetsmom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
6,147
Reaction score
512
Location
Suffield, CT
You can find more information at this website: http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.htm. The coat calculator will tell you the possible combinations when crossing a bay to cremello.

As far as frame overo goes, my understnading is that any horse that is positive for the lethal white gene (LWO+) would be considered a frame overo, no matter what color it appears to be. Some LWO+ horses (especially minis with Rowdy blood) appear to be solid color or have only a small amount of white on their face or legs. On the other hand, sometimes it is very difficult to tell the various pinto patterns apart, so a horse that LOOKS like a frame overo, may test negative for the LWO gene and thus NOT really be a frame overo. Confusing, isn't it? Main thing is to get at least one horse tested whenever you suspect frame overo and not breed 2 LWO+ horses together.

Now, when you do breed your frame overo (LWO+), here are the possibilities for foals:

LWO+ X LW0-: 50% chance of frame overo, 50% chance of solid color, and NO chance of lethal white foal that will die within a few days

LWO+ X LWO+ : 50% chance of frame overo, 25% chance of solid and 25% chance of lethal white (Note that you don't improve your chance of getting frame, only lower your chance of getting a live solid color foal)

If your LWO- horse is tobiano pinto, then you increase your chance of getting a pinto foal (not necessarily frame), but you still can't get a lethal white foal.
 

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
4,029
Reaction score
68
Location
Ohio
If a horse is a frame overo does it mean it is deffinatly LWO +?
Yes, LWO positive IS the frame gene

Also if a frame overo is bred will she have an overo foal for sure or does she have to test positive for LWO +?
In order to be frame overo she has to be LWO +.. A LWO+ horse has a 50/50 chance of producing a frame over foal when cross with a LWO- horse and when crossed with another LWO+ has a 25% of a neg. foal, 50% chance of a carrier foal and a 25% chance of a lethal white foal..

Also when bay is bred to cremello will you get a buckskin 100% of the time? Or can you get any other color from that cross.
Here's your chances on a bay solid X cremello solid crossing:

58.34% -Buckskin

33.33% -Palomino

8.33% -Smoky Black

Of course you can also toss in silver if one or the other carries it, and it also depends on the red factor and agouti of the bay.. You could get 100% buckskins if the bay was homozygous black and homozygous for agouti..
 

Carolyn R

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
2,709
Reaction score
151
Location
eastern Pa
You can, however, have an overo that is not frame. Splash, sabino and frame are all overo patterns, so you could get a blue eyed horse with white on some of the leg and a belly splash and still be neg. for frame, the horse would be splash.

So, if you are wondering about the funky patterns, you can get those and still be LWO neg, not typical, but splash and sabino can do some good "lwo frame" knock offs.Imposters, the nerve of them!

Carolyn
 

rabbitsfizz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Messages
10,938
Reaction score
386
Location
England
Providing you wish to continue using a misleading misnomer like "overo" to describe patterns that have absolutely NO genetic connection to one another whatsoever!!!
 

Carolyn R

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
2,709
Reaction score
151
Location
eastern Pa
Providing you wish to continue using a misleading misnomer like "overo" to describe patterns that have absolutely NO genetic connection to one another whatsoever!!!
So true Jane. It seems like here in the US overo is commomly used decribe a funky patterm that could be LWO+, rather than the gene itself.
 

Latest posts

Top