Foxglove

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Last year I planted a box of wildflower mix I thought would look nice next to my tack/feed barn. One of the flowers that are coming out is a pink Foxglove...I recognized the plant but had no info on it. Tonight while I'm looking info up on it to see if I was correct in recognizing the plant sure enough it is a Foxglove. What I did'nt know is that it is highly toxic :DOH!
default_no.gif
and is used for some kind of heart medicinal purpose. The horses are not free roaming around the area where the wildflowers are...and altho it looks beautiful, I am now wary. The pups roam the property and even tho I have not seen them interested in these flowers, they do hang around that area at times bobbing for wood bees.
default_wacko.png
Anyone else here on the forum know/grow Foxglove? I also read that if you mess with the flowers/plant in gardening cut them instead of pulling them. Wow....the things you learn online!!!

Also does anyone still have that link to poisonous plants back a time ago someone had posted? It was a really good link. I lost all my links like that when I took my hard drive in to get it serviced back in the fall. Thanks in advance.

I'll probably end up having to take this wildflower garden down when the season is over and finding a spot for them in the front property somewhere where the pups don't mosey around. In the meantime they will be going out with me in attendance, or in the side property area.

Digitalis (Foxglove) is a beautiful plant, but, as you said, it contains a substance that can be harmful if ingested. I have grown it, but found it a picky plant. It is usually a biennial. The first year, it grows a basal rosette of leaves. It puts up a flower spike the second year, then dies. I knew someone that had them reseeding themselves year after year, I had to keep replanting.

If your dogs tend to chew on things, I would keep them away while the Foxgove are blooming. Just as an aside, I had a dog that wound up taking Digoxin, the heart med that is derived from this plant!

Latest posts

Back