Foundergaurd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have used foundergaurd on your minis???

I have a mare that suffers with it and she really only gets it after being out on grass for a week or two. She is now 17yrs old and I feel sorry for her in that she cant go out for long periods of time with the others before it starts to flare up.

There is a chance she is in foal although through illness she hasnt had a foal in 3yrs but I am hopeful for a foal for next yr.

It says foundergaurd has not been used on breeding animals so they dont know the effects of it - has anyone maybe used it on a breeding mare or stallion??

If it works to any degree then I think it will be great for my little mare but I really dont want to cause problems if its not good for a pregnant mare.

I've never used founderguard, this is the first I've heard of it, but... I do have a mare that foundered two years ago, she stays on drylot 24/7 and doesn't go on grass, its just not worth risking another episode. Yes, I do feel a little guilty keeping her off grass, but her health is more important; she occassionally gets a few handfuls of grass as treats and she does gets out on a halter and can graze a little bit while we're out and about. But, no free grazing time. She actually seems quite content in her dry paddock and I often let her out with the others when they are on their drylot (when the pasture gate isn't open).

Have you looked at "Power Horse" at www.laminitis911.com ? Fantastic product Also the grazing muzzles really do work. I know a mare that founders and foundered in all four feet in '07, this year her grazing muzzle was kept on religiously and she didn't have any episodes this year.

Emma

Have you looked at "Power Horse" at www.laminitis911.com ? Fantastic product Also the grazing muzzles really do work. I know a mare that founders and foundered in all four feet in '07, this year her grazing muzzle was kept on religiously and she didn't have any episodes this year.
Emma
My appologies for the change of subject....but where can I find a grazing muzzle for a mini? Mine has foundered, I've been terrified ever since whenever he gets any grass. I need to get my hands on one...

Back