Found My Show Horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I've been sifting through my herd trying to figure out which horses I can show where. (Okay, that's only three show-able horses of sifting through....but still!)

So far I've decided on my 2011 filly and her dam. I decided full heatedly against her 2010 full brother Pete because of numerous reasons.

1. Conformation. (Roach back, butt high, etc. ) To put it simply he's a mess.

2. Lack of "Go" (I can't get him to go for me. Willingly he won't even walk.)

So, I've decided to put him up for sale cheap and hope he sells as a companion horse or a kid's horse. Its not that he's a bad colt, but he just isn't what I would like to focus my time on.

Ultimately, I think I have two very well behaved mares.

Ale has conformation (more so than her dam/brother) and grace. Bow has a willing attitude.

I was working with Bow tonight just to see what she can do. She has that go that I was looking for. She is a very responsive mare. Even after six years of doing nothing but popping out babies!

Well, tonight I worked on the basics of showmanship. (Walking, jogging?, pivoting, setting up, stopping, backing up)

She goes and stops on a dime and sets up great.

Backs up pretty well too.

Jogging? Wait. Going faster than a walk? Negative.
default_no.gif
She also doesn't understand pivoting, but I didn't expect her to.

We have a lot to work on before I start with anything hard core. Bow needs some hoof care, which will be getting done soon. I have the number to two farriers close by that I should be calling soon. Plus, I'm hoping to give Bow the year off next year to do nothing but ground manners and showmanship training. Hopefully we'll be able to show next July!

So, I guess I better show you guys my out of shape line up!

Introducing, my retired broodmare, Bow (BL Hooten Hollows Bow Tie):

228338_111487895604428_100002296543466_116319_107961_n.jpg

And her last foal, Ale (hopefully to be named JCP's Grand Finale)

227186_111485405604677_100002296543466_116294_1348214_n.jpg

Now, I'll be spending the next year trying to figure out how to get rid of at least 1/3 of that baby belly from Bow! (Belly wrap anybody? LOL!)

Sounds and looks like you made a perfect choice! The filly is very nice! When the foal is weaned, put Bow on a diet and put her to work. It will take awhile but I am sure you can get her presentable for showmanship.

what a pretty filly she is and mums very nice too... I think you made a great choice
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Good Luck and most importantly have fun

Latest posts

Back