Fot Those Who Feed BOSS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

candycar

I'm heading to the feed store soon, and need to know. I am currently using Super 14 (1 scoop) and about 2 Tablespoons of BOSS. Have tried the corn oil, but dry stuff is easier. Boss is cheaper and hear it's great for coats. I would like to know how much to feed to keep them shiny but not fat. Thanks!

In case it's something you'd be open to considering, I do not use BOSS but I do feed ground flax seed -- about 1 heaping table spoon a day. It helps the horses shed out, enhances gold tones, shines, and brings out the bloom. I used to use Select Nu Image, but prefer the results on my horses with ground flax seed
default_yes.gif

I tried Super 14 and my horses hated it - wouldn't touch their food.

I also have used the ground flax seed as Jill is using and it is a wonderful product, but I prefer the BOSS and I use 1/4 cup twice daily and the coats around here are so shiny and everyone has shed out beautifully.

I also used to use the Select Nu Image that Jill mentioned and I did not care for that product.

I buy it whole at the feed store (50# or 40# sack) and then grind it using a coffee grinder. I grind "a bunch" at a time and store it in the freezer in coffee cans.

Because the EFAs in ground flax deteriorate quickly once its ground I feed whole flax (as well as BOSS. I feed (on average) 1/2 cup of BOSS and 1/4 cup of whole flax daily. Love the results.

That's why I freeze most of it after it's ground. From what I understand, they cannot get the good stuff out of flax if it is fed whole (?).

If you only have 2 or 3 horses I have found the ground flax in walmarts in the flour and baking section. Smaller package and don't have to buy the grinder.

Actually Jill from the research I've done there is no real benefit to grinding it. In fact the horses grind it when they eat it and whole flax has the added benefit of helping clear small amounts of sand from the stomach.
default_smile.png

Actually Jill from the research I've done there is no real benefit to grinding it. In fact the horses grind it when they eat it and whole flax has the added benefit of helping clear small amounts of sand from the stomach.
I do know about sand regarding the whole flax seed, but I disagree that the seeds don't need to be ground for the other (more important) benefit. Horses cannot get the nutritional benefit out of flax seeds without it being either ground or soaked. I have used it on my horses for five or six years. It must be ground for the nutritional benefit from the omega fatty acids to be gained. The seeds are very tiny, smaller than seasame seeds, and a horse does not chew them and break the shells when fed in feed unground.

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything, but for others to see both sides of the discussion. I personally do not believe a horse's teeth come close to breaking the shells of these seeds (which are smaller than seasame seeds). When swallowed whole, the seeds pass through their systems whole and none of the benefit from the fatty acids is achieved. This is why the seeds should be ground prior to feeding if you are not just using it for sand.

-- this can all be investigated just with a simple Google search for those who don't want to take my word for it
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to give our big horses whole flax, and it sure did give them nice shiny coats--used to buy it straight from my uncle, who grew the stuff. Got away from that, though, and now we use BOSS--1/4 cup twice a day.

Thanks for the info! I'll try the BOSS. I wonder how long it keeps. If I buy a 20lb bag, I hope it doesn't go rancid before they eat it all. We don't get to the feed store often, so I have to stock up when we do!

For coats, I'd highly recommend Equi-Pride by SweetPro. I also feed soybean oil along with it, and my horses all have extremely shiny coats. For the soybean oil, it's not too bad if you buy a gallon pump and put it right on the gallon bottle of oil. The pump dispenses one ounce, so you just put a pump in each bucket and as long as you are feeding some sort of dry grain or hay pellets, soaks right in and no mess.

I just didn't find great results with BOSS or ground flax, and the ground flax is a mess to grind. Plus the worry of it going rancid (you must refrigerate any ground flax!).

Select NuImage is a great product, too.

Andrea

I don't know how many you're going to be giving it to, but if it's several, you'll be surprised how fast it goes. I've been giving it to 6 this last while, and an 8 lb bag lasted me less than 3 weeks. The last time I bought a 16 lb bag, and it's going down fast.

If you keep the BOSS in a cool dry place it will be okay for at least a few weeks. Normally I would have said that a bag of BOSS would keep a long time, no problem, but this last bag I bought sat in my truck from when I bought it to when I got home at 4:30, then I took it out & set it on a hay bale just outside the hayshed, in the sun. It wasn't a real hot day. When we went to do chores an hour or two later, the bag was sweating really badly! I took it inside & opened it & moved half the seeds into another bag, and then stirred them all up a few times, just to make sure they were dry and cool. They weren't actually heating yet, but soon would have been--when I stuck my hand into the middle of the seeds they were starting to feel warm. I guess I didn't think about how much moisture there is in the seeds! I think it says on the bag that once it's opened it should be used up within....30 days? 6 weeks? I'd have to look again. In any case, if you're feeding several horses I think you'll find that the BOSS is used up within a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back