For you color/genetic/overo experts, I have a question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
We had this colt born on the 18th, solid black pintaloosa with appy characteristics (mottled genitals, striped hooves, white sclera) and one blue eye... Now, an acquantance (sp?) of mine on a paint horse forum asked me if this lil guy was LWO positive, and to be honest, it NEVER crossed my mind that he could be a carrier :DOH! .. Sire was tested and tested negative but we never tested his dam since we knew the stallion was negative.. We plan on going ahead and testing his dam now so we'll know if she is or isn't positive.. If she does come back positive then there's a 50/50 chance she passed it on to this colt right? For those with more overo knowledge, by looking at him would you suspect LWO positive?

His Sire: (has bald face and two blue eyes)

102_2546.jpg

His dam: (has one full blue eye and a partial blue eye)

101_2728.jpg

Colt in question:

101_2732.jpg

101_2740.jpg

101_2750.jpg

101_2754.jpg

It is worth testing especially if the dam has Rowdy in her pedigree. Here is a photo of a tovero mare of ours. Sire (who is lethal) is a Rowdy decendent. The sire is solid black and still carries the lethal gene. Don't you just LOVE the Rowdy line!

Note the square on the upper left lip of my mare is simular to your mare's. You do see this often in LWO positive horses IF white is present around the muzzle.

joy2.jpg
joy3.jpg

Well, because of her blue eye, the mare has to carry either splash or frame.

No saying on the colt because with dad carrying splash, mom carrying either frame or splash or both, he could have gotten it from anywhere.

I LOVE how with such colorful parents (who look to, combined, carry every possibly white pattern in existance) you actually got a solid black with only minimal characteristics like the blue eye.
default_biggrin.png
Isn't fate a funny thing?

The only way to know for sure is to DNA test or have both of the parents DNA tested and BOTH be negative. I have heard of horses with no VISIBLE white who tested LWO positive.

By the way, beautiful colt.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to know for sure is to DNA test or have both of the parents DNA tested and BOTH be negative. I have heard of horses with no VISIBLE white who tested LWO positive.
By the way, beautiful colt.

Thank you! And I know that's the only "for sure" way to know.. Think I will go ahead and test his momma since we know his sire is negative, and then depending on what she comes back go from there..
default_yes.gif
I knew that many here as well as the other paint horse forum felt that the mare may carry frame, but it honestly never crossed my mind that this colt could too if she did, since he just had that one blue eye :DOH! He does have just a few white hairs there above his blue eye (can kind of see them in the last photo) and his upper lip looks really white to me, but it's hard to tell if it's actually white hair or just the lighter baby fuzz whiskers..

But, I had to post that colt is BEAUTIFUL! He lookes like a little race horse to me.
Thank you so much!
default_wub.png
And yes, now that he's got those legs figured out he's been tearing around the pasture like a race horse lol Poor momma would no more get stopped and put her head down to graze and he'd be on a dead run to the other end of the field and she'd have to chase after! lol He's still a little on the timid side but is getting more and more curious and independent every day
default_wub.png

Definitely test your mare! The sire has Splash, since his eyes are blue & has tested neg. for LWO.

So the colts blue eye could be coming from the splash gene. But, it's very possible for that mare to be carrying LWO......so test to be sure.

The upper lip markings are "usually" Sabino.
default_wink.png

Just wanted to say cute colt and also ask why you refer to him as a pintaloosa? I would say he is an appaloosa if he has the characteristics, but see nothing to classify him as a pintaloosa??

Just wanted to say cute colt and also ask why you refer to him as a pintaloosa? I would say he is an appaloosa if he has the characteristics, but see nothing to classify him as a pintaloosa??
Blue eye has to be coming from frame or splash which are technically "pinto" gene(s)..

ya know I wanted to throw this at you even though it doesnt really have anything to do with OWLs. Did you know his Grandsire C-chief Proud Eagle was born solid black? Getita told me that. They couldnt believe the color when they clipped him off later on after they bought him .They thought he was just a black colt..Isnt that too funny... You colt might do that too ...
default_biggrin.png

ya know I wanted to throw this at you even though it doesnt really have anything to do with OWLs. Did you know his Grandsire C-chief Proud Eagle was born solid black? Getita told me that. They couldnt believe the color when they clipped him off later on after they bought him .They thought he was just a black colt..Isnt that too funny... You colt might do that too ...

I think Getitia did mention that to me at one time! This lil guy does look lighter in coat closer to his body and I made the comment to my mom that there just might be white hiding under there somewhere..
default_yes.gif

He sure is a cutie.
default_biggrin.png
I would test the mare to be safe. There are no small spots hiding anywhere on the colt, like maybe a small belly spot or something????

He sure is a cutie. I would test the mare to be safe. There are no small spots hiding anywhere on the colt, like maybe a small belly spot or something????
Not that we've found, didn't notice any when we were treating his umbilical, only white I've come across is the few white hairs there on his forehead above his blue eye and the lighter looking hair on his upper lip, but not sure if that is actually white hair or just baby whiskers..

Latest posts

Back