For those who show...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Myself and a friend want to give showing a try in the spring.. We're just looking at local and/or small rated shows (probably mostly AMHR) just to get our feet wet, the horses out there and to learn. So was wondering if some of you who do the same (not talking about going BIG like Nationals/Worlds, this is just going to be for fun and learning, at least for now) would PM or email me to chat about where to get started, and maybe take a look at the horses we've chosen to show and what we'd need to do as far as fitting etc... Thanks in advance!

Oh my email is: [email protected] if you prefer that over PM
default_smile.png

I do just the kind of showing you are talking about - I feel it should be FUN and a learning experience. We show mostly at Pinto association shows, which I HIGHLY recommend if you can, because they are fun and their award structure is the greatest. Their awards are based more on lifetime achievement, with an emphasis on versatility. We have also done shows sponsored by local Mini clubs that were not rated shows, plus some local AMHA & AMHR shows and American Driving Society events. We like to enter shows where we have a CHANCE of winning (someday at least) if we do really well, but not where we know ahead of time who is going to win every class.

If you do get into showing, I urge you to keep in mind that you are paying for those judges opinions on that day, compared with the other horses in the ring. That should keep you going while you are learning, and keep you humble after a really great show! And judges DO have their own likes and dislikes, and they do make occasional mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask questions as long as you approach the judge through proper channels (usually a steward) and at the right time.

Most of all HAVE FUN! You can e-mail me at [email protected].

I did exactly what you did this year-i went to two shows at first just to watch so I could see what was winning in person first and then joined in. I also asked a lot of questions too and met a lot of very nice regular show-ers. I think you will have a LOT of fun and will be hooked before you know it! I don't feel comfortable judging other's horses as I am still learning, but if you have any questions or get nervous, let me know. That I can give advice on
default_smile.png

Thanks gals! And yes I have been looking into PtHA
default_yes.gif
One of my 2010 colts will be showing PtHA next year and I've been talking to his new owner about shows etc.

I'm not looking to win a ton of ribbons/trophies/titles etc. right now, I'm just wanting to get out there, have a little fun with the horses and meet new people.. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, just no idea where to start and needed that extra "push"/kick in the rear to do it.. Now that I have someone who is in the same boat as I am wanting to get out there and show too, we both figured it was time to just get out there, at least we can succeed or make fools of ourselves together
default_wink.png
lol

Wanted to add, for you or anyone thinking about showing, that it isn't just about halter. That is why we like Pinto so much; at our New England shows they now have both Open and Amateur Mini Divisions with classes in (Open): halter, color, trail, hunter, jumper, obstacle driving, pleasure driving, disciplined rail driving, and ideal pinto driving. For Amateur: halter, western showmanship, English showmanship, trail, pleasure driving and reinsmanship. We do have a youth division, (both AM & Youth are combined with ponies) and those classes are catching on now too. Most exhibitors show in halter and performance because you need performance points for a Pinto Championship, which is a bit like an AMHR HOF, except for the fact you do need BOTH halter & performance points (or for youth or Ammy, both showmanship and performance points).

If your Pinto shows don't offer mini showmanship you can enter the regular showmanship classes. I highly recommend showmanship because just about every show has it and you don't need a horse with perfect conformation to win. You do need LOTS of practice though, and there is a learning curve, but all that work with your horse will pay off in the end!

It does help to attend a show first and see what people are wearing, doing, etc. but often you can view show photos that will help.

Here is a link to photos from our August Pinto show: http://garylawrencephotography.com/#/horse-show-gallery/

Link to Sept show: easier to navigate if the link works:http://www.photoreflect.com/store/thumbpage.aspx?e=8214691

Thanks gals! And yes I have been looking into PtHA
default_yes.gif
One of my 2010 colts will be showing PtHA next year and I've been talking to his new owner about shows etc.

I'm not looking to win a ton of ribbons/trophies/titles etc. right now, I'm just wanting to get out there, have a little fun with the horses and meet new people.. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, just no idea where to start and needed that extra "push"/kick in the rear to do it.. Now that I have someone who is in the same boat as I am wanting to get out there and show too, we both figured it was time to just get out there, at least we can succeed or make fools of ourselves together
default_wink.png
lol
I love to see new people get started. To me it makes a difference what you want to do at the shows as to where I'd recommend you start. Are you wanting to do halter, showmanship, etc or are you wanting to drive or is the jumping etc. more what you want? Pinto in our area (Wisconsin) was only offering the halter, and obstacle classes ( at least when I last checked). If you want to do performance classes like jumping, hunter, and obstacle driving, you'd be better off at breed AMHR shows. If driving is what you're interested in then open shows like 4-H etc. are cheap and has driving classes but often has terrible arena footing for minis.

Find someone in your area, maybe thru a mini club, that does what you're interesetd in or even will help you pick a class(es) to start with. Then go with them to a show or two either to help them or for them to help you.

I took a lady last year with me to help with my 2 horses and 2 grandkids. She borrowed one of my horses for obstacle and is now bitten by the show bug. She went out and got a truck so she can take her horses to shows.

Careful what you wish for!! It's addicting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your lucky, your in Ohio. If you choose to show AMHR, there are TON of shows over there. I went to the Randolph shows this summer, which were nice. From what I understand, its normally a smaller show, but when I was there, some of the classes were pretty big. There are also a few shows in PA, one in valencia, and one in hookstown. Both are usually smaller shows, but as a beginner, huge shows can be intimidating. I used to show quarter horses before moving to the minis, and although a lot is the same, its a bit different too. Maybe a forum member from Ohio could "mentor" you and your friend to show you the ropes a little. I know there are a ton of members from ohio. The mini show world is VERY friendly and helpful!

Not sure where you are located in Ohio, but there are some great shows in Greenville, OH. They are AMHR shows, but they are fun!!! Lots of great people. Always helpful if you have questions. They have pot luck dinners on Saturday night and everybody gets together at Bud's camper for supper.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I'll share anything I know. That's how I've learned everything I know about the minis and shetlands. I started with quarter horses and now have only the little guys.

[email protected]

Donna

There are a lot of shows in Ohio for both AMHA and AMHR and like the others said, Hookstown. Randolph, Utica, Greenville are all nice shows to go to and the people are really nice. We would be happy to help you get started if you like.

As others mentioned there are so many nice AMHR shows in Ohio, most are just about 2 hours or so from you...Urbana....Ashland....Greenville (two Greenville shows) then Columbus Ohio show.

Also, there is a really nice open unrated show my good friend puts on, the RMHF Open Show which is annual last sunday of every september - its very nice and the awards are like nothing you will find elsewhere (supremes get a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff, and there are goody bags full of useful stuff in every class)..its at the Lorain County Fairgrounds. Has the look and feel of an AMHR show with pony classes offered, I sponsored it this year with a couple other farms. It really is classy.

Best way is to just go and watch - its really not difficult once you get the idea.

Good Morning

Being from Ohio you will have a large range of shows that you could attend for AMHR within a reasonable driving distance.I would have to say that most of the shows that I have attended in this area are very friendly and helpful and reasonably priced. Most are multiple judged shows so more bang for you buck.Look at the association AMHR website events page and see the listings of shows that were in Ohio or go to the shows page and look at the numbers of horses that attended Ohio shows. That will give you an idea of the sizes. Most shows were a little down last year due to the economy. Feel free to email me and I will be happy to try and answer any questions that you may have [email protected]. I am located just East of Columbus, Ohio and there are a few farms in this area that do quite a bit of showing that I am sure would be able to help you.

Thanks everyone! I'll be emailing several of you with questions etc.

My friend and her hubby have a list of shows compiled already, they were able to attend and watch a few this past summer, but I wasn't due to work schedule/other obligations, but now that we have a list I'll be sure to leave those weekends open!

Most of the horses we have picked out are young stock (coming yearlings to 2 year old) so we're looking mainly at halter/in hand stuff.. I do have a coming 2 year old filly that I think would be awesome in Liberty, but I don't know if that's offered at the smaller shows? or it may just depend?

Liberty is a really fun class. The more your horse shows off the better!! Most of the rated shows offer Liberty. Just have fun at whatever you try. That is the main thing.

As others have mentioned, you have a wide variety of shows to select from here in Ohio. Showing is one of those activities that you really learn from "doing" - like swimming - you can read all of the books on how to swim, obtain all of the advice, but at some point, you really need to jump in the water. Then you can apply your knowledge and continue to build upon your successes or make adjustments to those things that did not work that well. I learn something new every year and at every show. That is what keeps showing so interesting and challenging - as what works well for one horse will not work well for another.

Several members of our family show - from youth on up and in a variety of classes (everyone seems to have their favorite). I'm glad to help in any way - call, email or if you would like, stop by. We look forward to seeing you and your friend get your "feet wet" next year ..........and having a lot of fun in the process
default_aktion033.gif

Gosh, you've gotten such nice offers and ideas that it makes me with I lived in Ohio!

Just wanted to thank you all who have responded here, in emails and PM for your help, advice and offers!

I've got a ton of stuff I want to ask etc. but its a mumbled/jumbled mess of thoughts in my head, so I'm gonna jot stuff down and hopefully get some kind of order to it and then I'll be emailing several of you
default_yes.gif

I would love to come out and visit some of you and your horses, talk face to face, perhaps we can set up a farm visit or two this fall..
default_smile.png

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Cristina, there are several AMHA shows in your area. The Celebration of Champions show in Wilmington, Ohio is AMHR one day and AMHA the next. Also, there is a Silver Jubilee show in Springfield, Ohio

it is also where they have the Eastern Regional Show in August. Then if you really want to have fun, think about the Julep Cup in Kentucky (usually in beginning of July). The show is in the Kentucky Horse Park which is just gorgeous and has to be the absolute best backdrop for equine photography bar none!! I'm an email or phone call away.
default_saludando.gif

I could be wrong but almost all shows I have been to/seen have liberty as a class(rated and non-rated)-- the only one that didn't alternated bt costume and liberty class. So just check the class list online before you sign up.

Good luck Cristina,

we don't show ourselves (we have a trainer) but enjoy watching the shows. I think if we would get in the ring the judges may start looking at us and not the horses
default_new_rofl.gif

Sister Kristina

Latest posts

Back