for those who show for those who dont

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
This may be alot to ask but.... for someone like myself that does not show....is there a site/book that lists all classes in shows and the regulations and perhaps what the judges are looking ( or SHOULD ) be looking for/at in that particular class. Am I to assume that all shows would have both separate classes for A's and B's....then maybe even different classes for horses that won a different class. Sort of like a winners class in dogs.

I always see great looking horses that have won or placed in certain classes but am never sure what that class was or entailed

i.e. Under Class Gelding?.......I would wonder ...any age?

Open Yearling? ................" " " ... Do they all go into the ring together...mares, geldings, studs

AOTE Country Pleasure Driving " " ... any sex?

Champion Futurity Mare " " " ...Champion for only this show? Futurity? any age

Ammy Halter .........................." " ... Is that Amatuer Halter?

These are just some of the classes that I can think of off the top of my head...but I know there are ooodles and ooodles more

Things like color classes... would that be for any horse that is not solid or would there be a particular class for appy and would they have a seperate class for say a buckskin?

I would think that the Nationals or the World would have the most classes ( from what I read last year you guys were late into the night on many days watching and showing Liberty) because of the # of horses

Now if you have gotten this far into my post....with big shows do you pay a fee for each class or do they have a set fee say $ XXX per horse and he can show in as many classes as you would like?

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the direction to find this info as I certainly would not expect anyone to have the time to list every class and their descriptions. Thank you, Heidi

I just reread my post

Concerning the AOTE Country Pleasure Class...any sex ??

IM SURE THERE IS NO SEX INVOLVED.....I understand that its a driving class LOL......

After the How do you get a bitch to come in heat post....I better be ready for any thing!!!

Sorry

I can answer a for for the AMHR....

They have an under and over for each sex/age division. Example

1) Yearling Stallion Under 32"

2) Yearling Stallion Oer 32"-36" (i think its 36"....going off memory)

ext ext...so on like that.

An an unrated "not amhr/aspc/amha" show...they may do things differently. I know at our local fair which has an "open" mini show, they just do weanlings, yearling classes and all sexs show together. BUT that is an open show, AMHR handles things like above.

If its just a local club mini show..then you should probably call and ask as they do things different im sure.

i.e. Under Class Gelding?.......I would wonder ...any age?Open Yearling? ................" " " ... Do they all go into the ring together...mares, geldings, studs

AOTE Country Pleasure Driving " " ... any sex?

Champion Futurity Mare " " " ...Champion for only this show? Futurity? any age

Ammy Halter .........................." " ... Is that Amatuer Halter?

These are just some of the classes that I can think of off the top of my head...but I know there are ooodles and ooodles more

Things like color classes... would that be for any horse that is not solid or would there be a particular class for appy and would they have a seperate class for say a buckskin
?
In a rated Mini horse show the sexes never show together in a halter class. In an Open show, anything goes....
default_wacko.png

In driving all "genders" show together unless it's a specific clas, ie.e Stallion Pleasure Driving.

The Futurity classes are a whole 'nother ballgame. You nominate your foal, even before it's born, to show in these classes. In AMHR you sustain it every year to be able to show it in the Futurity classes. You only show at Nationals in these classes. You can show as a weanling, yearling, 2YO and 3YO.

Ammy= Amateur, yes.

Color classes are only split in solid color and multi-color. Apps/pintos show in multi color, all others show in solid. They don't differentiate between the colors.

Lots of different terminology!

Lucy

Speaking just of AMHR here--The ASPC/AMHR site has a link to the on-line rule book and that rule book does list all of the classes required at AMHR shows. The list is complete with all the classes that are included at Nationals, and then there is an * beside the classes which each AMHR sanctioned show is required to include in their program. They can offer extra classes if they wish, but the ones marked * have to be offered.

The local AMHR shows usually have only two classes for each age/sex; for instance, Yearling stallion, Under--32" and under and Yearling stallion, Over, which is over 32" and up to 36". At Nationals you will see those sizes broken down into more classes--the unders will be 30" to 32" and under 30" and under while the Overs will be 32-34" and 34-36"...I'm going by memory here so those heights might not be quite right, but the example gives you an idea.

Then you get the class winners showing back in their respective championship classes...the senior horses go for the senior championship in their size (Under or Over) division, and Junior horses compete for Jr. Champion. The two sets of Champions then goes back in the ring for the Grand Championship. These championships are always divided by sex, though some shows offer a non-rated champion of champions, where the Grand Champion Mare, Gelding and Stallion go in to compete for the overall championship.

Our local AMHR show also puts in some novice classes, and at the end of the show they had a judge's choice class--all of these are non-rated classes and do not count for any AMHR points.

Every show you attend will have its own set of rules that it will follow. The AMHR and AMHA have their rule books which list all the classes and all the rules. Any fair show or private club show will also have its own set of rules. The show premium or prize list should either list the rules or tell you where to find the rules they will be using. It is up to you as the exhibitor to make yourself aware of the rules and to follow them entering your horses in the appropriate classes. If you can't find the answers to your questions in the prize list there should also be contact info provided there for the show manager who you can call for more information. You can also check with anyone you know who has prior experience showing but be aware that they might not know all the rules either and could lead you astray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. I will check out the on-line AMHR rule book as that sounds like just the info I need to keep up with everyones winning horses!! Thanks again, Heidi

Back