For those who insure their horses.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
I just rec'd the paperwork to renew the policies for several of my horses that I have insured. I'm curious as to what guidelines others use in deciding to insure their horses. The ones I insure are for mortality with colic surgery included. I'm trying to decide if it is worth keeping the insurance coverage on them.

I don't have all of my horses insured - really only the ones that I've purchased recently. Do you have a value that you use a guide - ie. purchase price is over a certain amount so you invest in insuring those horses or do you insure all of your horses regardless of value.

Thanks for your input.

Kareng

we insure all show horses, horses that arent paid in full yet (learned that one the hard way!) and horses that to be blunt were very expsensive and could nto be easily replaced. We use the purchase price but i have upped ins on a horse that was shown alot as that increases their value

We insure everyone, but only under our farm insurance policy, for such things as fire, lightning strike, theft & wild animal attack...or attack by domestic animals other than our own. Show horses get extra coverage so that they are insured for trailering accidents and death/theft etc while at the show.

Full mortality for everyone is just too costly, and I refuse to pick and choose who will and who will not have it. The way my luck runs, the ones I chose to insure wouldn't be the ones that would need it anyway.

Yes I agree and when I was using insurance I only had accidental coverage only...That is the greatest value for the dollar and the most to worry about fire, storms etc...And not full mortality which is way high comparativly...

Minimor said:
We insure everyone, but only under our farm insurance policy, for such things as fire, lightning strike, theft & wild animal attack...or attack by domestic animals other than our own.  Show horses get extra coverage so that they are insured for trailering accidents and death/theft etc while at the show.
Full mortality for everyone is just too costly, and I refuse to pick and choose who will and who will not have it.  The way my luck runs, the ones I chose to insure wouldn't be the ones that would need it anyway.

465486[/snapback]

How many I want to insure decides the how much I insure them for. I usually insure the show horses. The amount is lower than what I feel the horse is worth but minimum is $2500 which I figure would help find a replacement....... We did insure our stallion until we got several foals on the ground. That amount was higher during the first few years of breeding............. I have at times insured our best broodmares & that was based on what we sold the foals for.

I have insurance on my broodmares.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back