For Those Who Do Nursing Home Visits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

Reaction score
For those of you who have visited nursing homes or hospitals with your little ones, I have some questions as I have a very calm, sweet 30 inch mare who I think would be great.

Before visiting the nursing home had you brought your little one(s) inside a building before? Covergirl's been to parades, fairs, etc. and walked right on to the porch without batting an eyelash, but just wondering what you all do.

What do you do about poo/pee? I don't have one of those bag-attached-to-a-harness things and I think they look a bit silly.
default_blush.png
Do you have a person with a bucket? Or....

And anything else you think I might need to know or consider, please tell me! I would love to bring joy to people and share my little sweetheart.
default_wub.png

Here's a shot of her, SRF Covergirl, my little rescue mare

IMG_1145.jpg

Thanks tons!

Rebecca

Rebecca I take my horse Cross Country All That Jazz to visit nursing homes, he had been inside buildings before, the first time I took him it was to a client of mine in downtown Toronto and they asked for him to be their mascot for their annual walkathon, there was a reporter there and he asked if Jazz could go inside the building, the director said no problem so we took him inside and the photographer took several pics of him in there. He didn't fuss at all about the wheelchairs or walkers. You might want to see how your girl is around wheelchairs and walkers before you go to one. He didn't go to the bathroom inside the building, he has only had one accident a poop the last time we went, I had told the activity director thet I couldn't guarantee he wouldn't go and she just said well if he does we will clean it up and they did. He has never peed inside, in fact when I took him in a Christmas parade he wouldn't pee on the road, he waited until he got on grass. You need them to have a very calm personality because the seniors crowd them and sometimes block them in a corner with their wheelchairs and walkers. So I will say go for it if you have a nursing home close to you that will let you in, it brings the seniors so much joy as you will see if you read my post on the pictures/videos forum.

Yvonne

We actually brought our two "therapy" horses into our house for visits before they were taken anywhere in public.

For accidents, we've never had a problem because they usually clean themselves out during the trailer ride. However, I always have taken a garbage bag, rubber gloves, and paper towels with me.

Our little mare Millie has been to many nursing homes. She is very calm and did not seem to mind just walking into the building. To help Millie with the slick floors that they have there we purchased her some build a bear sneakers that seem to fit the mini's feet well. She has only had one accident (poo) on the floor...then we just had a dustpan with us and a broom and picked it up right away and then they cleaned the floor.

Here is a picture of them...I think that you can you can see one of her shoes.

of505904421.jpg

I used vet wrap on my horse's feet and it worked great for hte slick floors.

Do not let anyone feed treats. Better not to risk nibbled fingers.

Another thing that hapened to me, was walking out of the school building there was a double glass door. Of course, I stopped at the door to open it, but my hrose ran into it. He didn't know about glass doors. I felt really badly about that, as he had been such a good boy.

When we took Saber to the Convalescent Hospital my FIL was at Saber remained in the courtyard

and for courtesy sake I kept his diaper on.

filoon1.jpg

The time he wore Build A Bear shoes there

filoon8.jpg

they were a hit - the patients there LOVED seeing him wearing little shoes.

I have to admit they are very cute!

When Saber is given the green lit to visit inside our local hospital he'll be diapered and wear the tennies too.

Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe our first trip I should just have her stay outside and have people come out to see her if that's possible, just to see how she is. I'm sure she'll be fine, she's been surrounded by 10+ kids before, but starting in the courtyard or something sounds like a good idea.
default_smile.png
It'll also give her a chance to look at wheel chairs and walkers without being trapped inside.

Also- about feet if she goes inside, I see some use build-a-bear shoes and some use vet wrap. The shoes don't fit her right, she could I just wrap her hooves in vet wrap?

Thank you for all the advice, lots of cute horses, I love seeing the smiles on peoples faces.
default_wub.png

Rebecca

Millie has done lots of visits outside. She has only ever gone indoors at the one with the picture. I believe she is going in another location and gets to ride the elevator up. Should be fun.

Try a pair of the build-a-bear slippers too...they might stretch more. Otherwise I would just use vet wrap.

Karen

Latest posts

Back