For those that use Marestare.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I'm wondering if marestare will be the answer to my problem. Ok so the biggest part of the problem is me. I really want to see my mare foal out.

Problem is we boarded our horses while we went on extended vacation (not really believeing mare was in foal). Now she is in the next state and the vet at the location doesn't think she should come home ( 3 hr trip). She's at 300 days today. We just got home yesterday.

I'd like opinions if marestare would work....if I bought a camera and set it up at the boarding barn what all would I need to purchase and do to get her on marstare so I could watch from home? I mean the whole list as I don't have a clue about marestare. Thanks

Depends on what camera you get. There are wireless and wired. The boarding facility would have.to have, internet connection. We had to get a "dazzle" we bought at best buy to hook the camera to the labtop so it could send live continuous feed. Get a marestare account setup and they help you get yours running. I LOVE marestare, and will be turning it on again for 2 of my mares in a few Weeks.

OK, this is what I mean by I don't know any of this. So if I understand I would need to connect this camera either by wire or wireless to a computer. Would this computer have to have continuous internet? Like a dialup connection wouldn't work?

I wanted to just call someone at marestare and talk to them but I couldn't find a number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you would need a continous internet connection as it is a streaming video. Dial up can work but can get expensive. Yes the camera has to be hooked to the computer all the time you want to view the feed. Marestare is great! I don't have any babies coming this year so mine is currently not streaming but I still use the camera to watch the barn locally.

What barnmother said. I was lucky, and had my hubby help. But, if you email Heather at marestare she is really good at helping you, and generally fairly quick in responding

yes as the others have said, you will need a computer or pc, a good internet connection and a cam. You will have to find out if the barn has internet and if so where, then you can decide if you can get a wired or wireless cam. Mine is wireless as it is close enough and it is so much easier than running wires. Heather is really quick at responding to emails so just send her a message as she is the best person to help you out.

Good luck.

I am not sure why the veterinarian does not want her to come home, but if you are experienced in foaling, that is where I would want her to be.

If you have a barn for her to foal out in you could set up Mare Stare at your own barn.

I would bring her home now. If you have a barn and setup for her, then the sooner she gets home the better. Even if you did get Marestare set up at their place, you wont have any way to guarantee they will have it up and her under camera when she foals and you wont be able to be there for her either. I think its a big expense and risk to set it all up there (might not even get your equipment back from them?)

3 hours away at 300 days along is not huge in my opinion, just take your time and if she isnt stressed, being back with you is probably the best place for her to be.

Marsha

I would want my mare back at my farm and in her stall that she is familiar with. I would never want any of my mares to foal out at a boarding stable. Are they going to stay up and watch her 24-7? Even if you have her under cams, how would you get there in time?

The people (ok he's a trainer) are certainly capable of foaling her. It's just that I wanted to be able to watch as she's the only mare I'll ever have bred of my own. We're getting too old. I've had that vet and an old time breeder friend say not to move her so close to "time". Maybe I'll just think this whole thing over again. I want to thank everyone that has commented. I appreciate your opinions.

1) Bring her home if at all possible.

2) Contact Heather and she can talk you through it.

3) Remember, just because a camera is on doesn't mean someone is watching or someone is available to be there, hands-on and knows what to do.

I wish you the best. If you leave her there, contact Heather. I wish you a healthy foal and momma!

I'm pretty sure the mare is safe where she is at, and the barn owner/trainer is more than capable of foaling her out (unless I am wrong on where she is at). I'm not sure why everyone is assuming he is incompetent?

Sandee--do they have a camera system they use for themselves, even if it isn't hooked up to Mare Stare? Could they hook the monitor/tv to a VCR or DVD recorder & record the foaling for you (I don't know if that's possible with some systems or not?)

I did not mean to imply that anyone was incompetent .........so let's just set the record straight there. We did not know that it was at a "trainer's facility" which is totally different. This is why I hardly post anymore! I'm really getting tired of the "drama".
default_frusty.gif

Here is my 2 cents. I LOVE Marestare and have it up and running now. But we had a mare at someplace else in 2010 and it was the easiest, smoothest foaling I have been involved with. Parmela kept me posted on toffee's progress and called me in the middle of the night to congratulate us on our new FILLY!

What happens if the cam goes down and you are so far away? (Our cam went down twice in one day this week). Or if during the delivery there is a problem and they feel the need to shut OFF the cam? Or will it be set up (it can be) so only select people can watch? But if there is any problem at all, how will you feel watching from so far away??? Do they have a camera (iPad or cell phone) that takes video, as almost all do? Maybe they could just take a video for you and call you with the news? No question, that is what I would suggest!

ETA: Mine was a purchased mare and she was nowhere near as close to foaling as your mare and my vet AND people here on the forum all advised not to move her. It was a longer distance, but again, not as close to foaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
SampleMM no one is bashing anyone which is why I came back and said it was a trainer so anyone that did know wouldn't think - I thought- they wouldn't do a good job. I know they can. I just want to be more involved. This is my only mare and we had our stallion gelded after this exposure so the grandkids could show him. I guess I'm just being selfish wanting to have her here.

I know hubby wants to leave her as he knows I'd be sleeping in the barn until she delivers.

Latest posts

Back