For those that order your own vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
I was talking to my vet about doing my own vaccinations. I've been doing them myself, only purchasing them from the vet. With so many horses now I thought it might be more cost effective to order my own vaccines and go that route. That is when he informed me that I could not and would not be able to purchase WNV other than thru him. It is only avialable to veterinarians.

For those of you that order and do your own what do you do about the WNV? I've talked to a few people who do not give it as they feel it is an unproven vaccine and in some ways I agree. My vet did recommend that if I do order my own, to order Fort Dodge. Just looking for some input. I am in central Fl so WNV is a consideration.

Years ago when they first came out with the WNV vaccine a vet told me he thought it was pointless as most horses built up a natural immunity to the virus. Regardless living where I do I have always given it.

I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm just trying to find the most economical way to keep everyone healthy. All of my adult horses are vaccinated and all recieved WNV. I'm getting ready to start vaccinating foals so just looking for a little input.

Thanks,

I've been using the Ft. Dodge WNV since it came out.

A lot of people talk about it not being that effective yet we're not seeing many cases of West Nile since we started vaccinating. I even use the Ft Dodge combo with V,E,W, T and WNV.

You can order WNV from several sources. They don't advertise on the web because of vet issues.

Call any of the major supplies and you'll find they have it.

KV Vet for one.

I've used the WNV + EWT for several years w/o issue. My non-show horses get that and a rabies shot.

Many places sell the WN vaccine this is where I purchased mine at over 10 bucks a shot less then thru my vet.

United Vet

After seeing several horses with West Nile I will always vaccinate it is simply not worth the risk to my horses

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's where I order shots from... They carry the WNV in a shot by itself but also in a combo.

HorseWarehouse.com

default_yes.gif

A lot of people talk about it not being that effective yet we're not seeing many cases of West Nile since we started vaccinating. I even use the Ft Dodge combo with V,E,W, T and WNV.

You can order WNV from several sources. They don't advertise on the web because of vet issues.

KV Vet for one.

I have to ask. What do you mean by saying you're not seeing MANY cases of WNV? Are you saying you've personally had some horses get it? Or are you talking about your area in general? Just curious.

I have been using WNV vaccine since it first became available. I switched in 2007 to Prevenile made by Intervet in Delaware. I talked to the vet at the facility where it is made since I would be using it on young horses.I also taked to several different vets in my area.I prefer it since you only have to give 1 shot even to horses who have never been vaccinated for WNV with any brand.I used again in 2008 and had no reactions.You can order it from horsehealthusa. com for $194.95 for 10 doses.It is 1 2 part vaccine like many dog&cat vaccines-1 part is pulled into the syringe and then mixed it the other bottle and then back into the syringe.I really like the Intervet vaccine and am switching in 2009 to their other products since I had so many bad reactions this year from my Ft.dodge vaccines.Good luck with your program. I can't imagine a vet who would tell you such things.These days you gotta do what you can to save money so you can afford to keep everybody fed.

We buy our vaccines from United Vet though our vet would sell them to us too (hers are more expensive though). The only shot I am aware of that you have to get from your vet (in Minnesota, anyway..) is rabies. I usually have the vet do the rabies shot when she does the coggins each year.

I do not think WNV or rabies vaccine is neccessary in every area of the country but I know in my area personally we do have a problem with West Nile and our vet has treated several horses over the years for it and none of the sick horses that she has treated had been given the vaccine. I do not want to risk my horses coming down with it.

Fort Dodge sells the vaccine to the public. Recombitek (Merial) is NOT sold to non-veterinary clinics. Previnile is half and half... some people have it and some don't. Some states restrict the sale of west nile vaccine, but most of it is the manufacturer.

I buy my WN vaccines (and Recombitek Flu) from Hagyard Magee vet clinic.

. Recombitek (Merial) is NOT sold to non-veterinary clinics. Previnile is half and half... some people have it and some don't. Some states restrict the sale of west nile vaccine, but most of it is the manufacturer.

That is not correct I just purchased Merial(my vaccine of choice) and Previnile thru United vets and had it sent to my farm no vet involved.

KV Vet for one.

I have to ask. What do you mean by saying you're not seeing MANY cases of WNV? Are you saying you've personally had some horses get it? Or are you talking about your area in general? Just curious.
In the area. I'm a farrier and was part of the initial vaccination as a vet's assistant to two different vets.

At that time one of the clinics had 10 horses in emergency treatment for it.

I have only heard of one case in this area in the past year or so.

I have over 400 horses on my books.

I did have a client horse that had West Nile and survived. They did a titter (?) level on it the following year and it didn't show any immunity after having the disease.

If you look at the number of cases by year on the gov web sites, there is a tremendous difference.

Is some of this natural ? Don't know, not an expert.

We order all of our vaccines from vet catalogs. Just do a Google search for vet catalogs. You will find they carry all available brands of WNV.....no prescript required.

Charlotte

. Recombitek (Merial) is NOT sold to non-veterinary clinics. Previnile is half and half... some people have it and some don't. Some states restrict the sale of west nile vaccine, but most of it is the manufacturer.

That is not correct I just purchased Merial(my vaccine of choice) and Previnile thru United vets and had it sent to my farm no vet involved.

Then they got them through some non-official manner, or they were short dated. Mariel does not sell to non-vet customers, its a corperate policy.

We just recently purchased ours (Fort Dodge) through Heartland Veterinary Supply (www.heartlandvetsupply.com). We thought the same thing...that you HAD to buy from the vet, BUT, we successfully purchased WNV with no problems. It even says on their website no prescription required.
default_yes.gif

Ok you got me curious so I had to go out and check I always keep the packaging material for a few days and had not yet thrown it out ( I just vaccinated everyone Sat) anyway yes it is Recombitek and it is dated July 17 09 so not really short dated?

I got it thru the United Vet online site I posted earlier and purchased them thru that same site last year as well. They sell them in a package of 10 only no needles included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I manage a farm store,,,,Rural King,,,,,,,,it is in 5 states in the Mid West.

We do carry WN shot,,,,it is very legal, one of the first things I checked into when hired at the store over a year ago.

Many farm/feed stores carry it. Have you checked in your state? You are paying shipping fees when maybe you don't need to.

Just a thought.

Fort Dodge's WN vaccine is very available, except in a few states. Other brands are lesser available. Recombitek SHOULDN'T be available, but sometimes is for various less-than-authorized reasons.

I was also told by my vet that we had to go thru him. this year I got it myself. I have always given my own vacines to my horses, I did have a question about the WNV though. Do the minis get the same exact dose as the big horses? On everything else they do, just wanted to know

Wow. Glad to know that it is available. I have to admit that I never looked after being told that I wouldn't be able to buy it. Thankyou for all the great sources.

Latest posts

Back