??? for those that jumped on the gelding bandwagon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
How about an update for the geldings?

A couple of years ago there was a post if anyone remembers about all the people that committed to geld their colts. Lots and lots of people did commit and followed through.

I am wondering how is that working for you now?

Are you still glad you did?

Do you think it dropped your horse's value or increased it?

How is the market been for the geldings?

I have people asking me about mares and stallions for sale and no one seems to be asking me about geldings so I'm wondering how it's going for sales?

I wasn't part of that, but I have gelded my share of boys in the last several years. Of my mini colts this year (2) 100% are or will be gelded. Of my shetland colts this year (2 also) at least one will definitely be gelded. So, 75% of my colt crop this year will be (or already has been) gelded. Honestly, when it all averages out, my geldings sell for more than my intact boys. I do promote my geldings and their prices usually reflect that investment. Right now I have lots & lots of fillies & mares for sale and only 1 senior stallion, 1 junior stallion and ONE gelding (senior all around show horse) for sale!!
yes.gif

I cannot say whether it affected the price or not, they both went to the best, but pet homes at pet price, my choice. The one colt I considered Stallion quality has gone to a stallion home, the others will be gelded. This year, for the first time, someone came for a colt specifically as a gelding!!! It did not affect his price.

I think I'm doing pretty well with that regard. I am not going to sell any colts that won't be gelded before they leave if I can help it.

I have sold one colt specifically for breeding since I made my "vow" three years ago, but that's it.

My only foals this year are girls, but we'll see what next year brings.

Not sure it made them worth more, but I'm sure having fun showing my own gelding.
smile.gif

What it WILL do, I hope, is to make my own stallion worth more by not selling his offspring cheaply to be bred to who knows what.

I feel like I have some sort of control when I can choose only to sell gelding colts by my stallion. yeah, the girls are harder to control and I know they are also half the breeding equation, but only able to have one per year at best.

Looking forward to hearing how others are doing....I have gotten several compliments on my stance on gelding, but I know it would be hard to implement for a breeder as many times people just don't want geldings or pay very little for them.

Liz M.

Well, I have no illusions of making a profit with the way I do minis! Maybe some money will come in and be a partial offset to my favorite hobby.

I had gelded quite a few horses. Most remarked on was Derby and Lonesome, my two former and successful show stallions.

Do I think it increased their value (to anyone other than myself)? NO. That had nothing to do with it.

Do I regret it? NO! I love them both even more as geldings.

From my perspective, gelding them gave them happier, less frustrating lives. I didn't see myself breeding mares of my own until 2007. None of the people who flipped out about me gelding Derby ever booked mares to him, so I reckon he'd be frustrated until "maybe" 2007... Why put either horse through that situation?

Then, when I decided on Destiny, then later DunIT, too, to me, I think those horses are the better ones to reproduce. Derby is my favorite horse that I own, but I think the other two are better stallions.

Gelding Derby and Lonesome has not changed their personalities. They still have spark and they are still awesome.

I have a harder time selling geldings then I do intact colts. That said we only had one colt this year and he will be gelded in the spring. WE dont have the ability to geld foals here.

I tried to sell our little guy as a colt and as a gelding but people didn't want to pay either way. Being small time I believe it is harder to sell either. We gelded our yearling this spring, then we decided to keep him
wub.gif
He gets along great with our stallion so in the winter they are pasture buddies. In the summer he is in with our other filly too young to bred. Best thing we've done is to keep him because we have such a small "herd".

I really don't have much experience with 'off the farm' selling of geldings, but we have had a couple of client gelding show horses. One two years ago sold for $4,500. The one this year is priced at $2,000 and he is a many times Ch Jr Gelding with great driving potential. Then we have a yearling stallion show horse being advertised as for sale as a stallion OR gleding....gelding price of $2,000 .... and a Ch Jr stallion show record.

If either those 2 sell before they leave us this fall I'll come back and report the selling price.

It seems when we mention geldings people think....'well, that horse isn't any good or it wouldn't be a gelding'. I feel that is a terrible misconception! It takes a GOOD stallion to make a good gelding!

We are going to geld one of our '05 colts ....and he is BEAUTIFUL, just too big for a stallion (mature around 33-33 1/2") and show him in '06. He is for sale, so I will report his sale here after we sell him.........assuming I can remember
biggrin.gif
Someone may have to remind me
biggrin.gif

I have sold one colt that was supposed to be gelded and made the mistake of letting the buyer have the papers at time of sale.......he was never gelded
xbud.gif

I won't make that mistake again! I'll geld here!

Oops! feeding time

Charlotte

[SIZE=14pt]I did as promised and gelded all my colts and have sold all but 1 that I am keeping to show. 4h families have been the purchasers of the geldings. People that dont show or have a backyard breeding program always want mares and colts it seems but those serious about showing have wanted the geldings.[/SIZE]

Lyn

disclaimer, I am not now nor have I ever been a vet, professional trainer, and am no longer a REGISTERED nurse. Any and all opinions I state are based only on 25 years of horse experience as a breeder.They are only opinions and or suggestions.

On the gelding bandwagon?
no.gif
In any breed but ours gelding is just the way it is, and not gelding a colt would be the big deal!

We have and will continue to geld the vast majority of the colts born here.

Started with a mini that was gelded within 48 hrs of coming to my house. Have an awesome B show gelding. Looking for an awesome A show gelding. Had only 2 colts born here - both were gelded at 12 weeks
biggrin.gif

MARTY; WE HAVE GELDED BOYS FOR MANY MANY YEARS. WE DO IT BECUASE IF YOU LEAVE THEM A STALLION, SOMEONE IS GOING TO BREED OUT OF IT, AND 90% OF YOUR BOYS DON'T NEED TO BE BRED FROM (NOT GOOD ENOUGH). WE JUST HAD 2 WEANLINGS GELDED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. IF WE HAVE 20 BOYS, BORN IN A YEAR, 17 OF THOSE WILL BE GELDED. WE HAVE EVEN GELDED NATIONAL CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PRODUCE THE QUALITY WE WANTED IN MOST OF THEIR BABIES. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE OF THIS FILLY, WOULD YOU GELD HER SIRE? WELL HE WILL PROBABLY BE GELDED , WHY? BECUASE WE DON'T LIKE SOME OF HIS OTHER BABIES THAT WELL.

mvc-042s.jpg
NOW, IT IS A LITTLE HARDER TO SELL GELDINGS TO SHOW PEOPLE, BUT LIKE VICKIE SAYS, IF IT'S A NICE STALLION, IT WILL MAKE AN EXCELLENT GELDING.

Around here -- unless the colt is by a National Champion out of a National Champion -- whether they are gelded or not -- you are lucky to get $500 for them... for the most part.

I have ONE not gelded (yearling) because I want to see what he looks like when he matures -- he is well bred and was a VERY NICE suckling foal. IF he is nice enough to be a VERY GOOD stallion -- he will stay a stallion -- if when he is 4 years old he will make a moderate stallion -- then he will be gelded.

We personally own 5 geldings (had 6 and donated one to a equine therapy program for girls) and 7 mares (two pregnant). We MIGHT be acquiring another stallion candidate -- same thing will go for him.

I strongly believe in gelding them if they are not really really good! Regardless of the market.

JJay

I am gelding my beautiful CHampion Farms Nighthawk son so raven will have a horse to show
smile.gif

You know as I watched the gelding classes at Nationals all I could think was wow some think gelding means infereroir simply due to lacking body parts but the truth is (sad as it may be) that those geldings in the show ring were nicer then 80 percent of the stallions I have seen on some sites.

The VERY BEST advertisement a farm can do is geld. Only 99% of the colts out there should grow up to be herd sires, IMO. If you look at this way: If they gelded that horse, then their stallions should be outstanding. A nice stallion makes a GREAT gelding. Plus, when you have geldings for sale you also have a larger market since most families with youth exhibitors look for geldings. A lot of people who are buying don't want to go thru the hassle of gelding a stallion when they get it home.

I've noticed that the miniature "breed" seems to be anti-gelding where as if you look at other breeds, they are very pro-gelding. And they get great prices for their geldings.

bob r said:
VICKIE SAYS, IF IT'S A NICE STALLION, IT WILL MAKE AN EXCELLENT GELDING.
475583[/snapback]

My Grandad's dad told him that it takes a helluva good stallion to make a half decent gelding. As a result of that philosophy, three geldings raised (and gelded!) by us have been Supreme Halter Horse winners, and in our area the senior gelding classes are always the largest and (in my opinion) the most competitive classes of the show.

I've noticed that the miniature "breed" seems to be anti-gelding where as if you look at other breeds, they are very pro-gelding. And they get great prices for their geldings.
When I was first learning about the minis I was very surprised that so many people sold colts without gelding them. I don't understand the idea that they are worth less or should I say "worthless". I know my Aunt sold some of her QH geldings for $30,000 + and some of these went to Europe (this was 22 years ago). Why can't a great mini gelding be sold for a decent price?!?

Kendra said:
On the gelding bandwagon? 
no.gif
  In any breed but ours gelding is just the way it is, and not gelding a colt would be the big deal!
475573[/snapback]

Bandwagon? There should be a HUGE one going from farm to farm collecting testicles.

Gelding in any other breed is no big deal and you will find the gelding classes are better, for the most part, than the stallion classes.

Carol! I swear........you are so funny!!!!!!!! I am cracking up so bad here!!!!

Talk about having a way with words:

Bandwagon? There should be a HUGE one going from farm to farm collecting testicles.
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif

I'll be keeping Timmy's in a jar under my pillow
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
Guess you better not sleep with me
wacko.gif