For those that feed grass hay ONLY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Do you feed a vitamin and mineral supplement? If so what kind?

Sorry I should have been more specific. Those that feed NOTHING but grass hay. Not really looking for a ration balancer but a loose mineral or mineral block. I'm having my hay tested its SUPER 3rd cutting grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend feeds only hay to her horses, no grain, and her horses are so healthy! She does give them free-choice mineral supplement and I would suggest if you don't offer yours salt blocks, or mineral blocks, or any type of supplement to go get some =) Horses need those vitamins and salts to help maintain their bodies!

I feed Buddy Grass hay, and he gets half a teaspoon of Ultra Kelp mixed in with about 5 tablespoons of Life-Line Phase 2 feed. He gets that twice a day. He also has free choice salt blocks--and iodine and a mineral block.

I also feed grass hay only - a blend of timothy and bermuda. I supplement with Triple Crown Low Carb Complete and free choice salt blocks.

Liz R.

We have some that get grass hay only. They get a loose mineral top dressed on their grain--this is a PMU mineral pre-mix, originally formulated for PMU mares who get nothing but grass hay. It's sort of a ration balancer, with all necessary minerals & vitamins, plus a calcium supplement with balanced phosphorous.

All of our horses get mineral blocks which are very similar to the PMU pre-mix--this is a soft block which is easy for the horses to chew/lick, it's got added salt and like the PMU mix has a calcium/phosphorous supplement included.

I use Equimin Horse Mineral. This was suggested to me by a horse nutritionist.

All of my horses (besides the show horses during show season and the broodmares in last few months) are out on free choice pasture and then free choice grass hay in the times when the grass goes dormant

I use Mooremans Minerals - Gro Strong; as well as Purinia 12/12.....both are out in buckets free choice to them, along with a white and mineral salt block.

I would love to do grass hay only, but mine look forward to those 2x a day feedings & stand at the gate (even though they only get a handful) just to keep them happy. What to give them instead of? I thought about a bit of carrots & apples with their boss. They get the minerals/salt too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back