For those of you who DO NOT show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandi*

Reaction score
After reading another thread all the way through I just couldn't help but laugh at myself. I have absolutely no interest in showing. I have went to three miniature horse shows as a spectator and found them to be quite boring to tell you the truth. I was so excited to see my first roadster class but was very dissapointed
default_sad.png
I do know a little about showing because we used to show our ponies in western pleasure when I was a kid. But even then, it was boring lol
default_rolleyes.gif
Some might say that I would enjoy them more if I was actually participating. I can tell you right now that I know I would not :DOH!

While at the shows the most exciting thing to me was walking around and looking into individual stalls to see who was in them.

I much prefer to see horses manes all grown out, forelocks going wild and some even look great with no bridal paths
default_biggrin.png

Even though I didn't enjoy the shows when I was riding, I did LOVE trail riding, trail trials, cow penning, and the like
default_yes.gif

At some point I would like to learn to drive and I think I will really enjoy that.....but not in an arena lol. I will want to get out and moving.

I was just wondering about everyone else who chooses not to show their minis. What is your reasoning? Is it because it costs too much, time, or like me, you just find it a little dry
default_biggrin.png

For those of you show goers, please don't take offense because I am in no way saying that shows are bad...it's just that I personally can't see the attraction to it.

I know there are lots of members that do not show so I just thought it would be neat to get their input
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no place i would rather be then at a Horse show, i am an addict ..

If i wasnt showing, i would prob only have three horses, but i just cannot imagine not showing. I love the work ...the time ...and then being at the shows and watching, talking with other handlers and of course my faverite place to be is in the ring.

I cannot remember who it was, but someone a while back compared a horse show to a beauty pagent for horses and that is kind of how i have thought of it since
default_yes.gif

Find what you enjoy
default_yes.gif

I have been to and shown at a few breed shows and do not care for them. BUT I do LOVE the CDEs! Its a blast. So I guess I do like to show in that form. Kathy

What are CDEs? Sorry I'm not fluent in this language lol
default_biggrin.png

I have been to and shown at a few breed shows and do not care for them. BUT I do LOVE the CDEs! Its a blast. So I guess I do like to show in that form. Kathy

The two main reasons I don't show anymore is because first, I moved out of my parents house after college and it was not fair to the horses, my parents or me to show when I did not have time to prepare the horse. Second, my parents retired and sold the horses. I did not have mini horses of my own until they retired and then made my husband make room (move the cows) for their last 2.

However, since I now have this new filly, the bug has bitten me again. I will not show her this year as I wont wean her until October and I personally do not show babies that are still with mama. We will see how things go next summer.

Kelly

I dont show mainly becasue I'm way too shy to be in a ring with people looking at me! Also, cost and travel.

We do have our stallion trained to drive and we have a lot of fun giving the neighbor boys rides. We jsut drive around our property and enjoy it a lot!

Marsha

I don't show because honestly I don't want to deal with some of the people and the "politics".. I've been to several shows and quite honestly found some of the people and their attitudes down right rude/nasty and I don't want to be part of that.. Yes, not everyone who shows has that type of attitude and I have met several super nice people who would be a blast to tag along and or show against/with, but it's those who get caught up in the "I have to win but when I don't I'm going to throw a hissy fit", who turn it all off for me..
default_no.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
I was at one show where a horse that had done very well throughout the day did not place in the top 3 in another class it was in and the handler literally began yelling at the judge telling him how horrible he was for not placing her horse, now seriously???
default_rolleyes.gif

Also I haven't had the time/money.. Right after graduating high school I went straight into college where I've spent the last 4 years earning my Bachelor Of Science degree (and of course racking up student loans!).. Now that I've finally finished that I've moved straight into my new career, where I've only been working a little over a month.. Plus I help my 80+ year old grandfather farm, and as many of us know, farming is a 24/7 job.. Getting my career and life established while still raising and enjoying my minis, and family is more important than winning a blue ribbon..
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't need to doll/glossy up my horse(s), win a trophy/ribbon/points/title, to me those things tarnish and waste away, just having them stand out in the pasture, being able to go out and love on them, watching their antics, getting kisses, sharing them with family/friends, watching the 'city' kids work/interact with them when they may have never had that chance to and the memories I've made and will make with my little ones, is enough for me.. Someday will I show? Maybe.. Would I like to see my horse kids in the showring, sure why not, but right now I'm quite content with my "kids" just the way they are..
default_yes.gif

I do not show and it is not because I dont want too. It seems like something always comes up,I didnt really have anything to show at one point cause all I had were my breeding horses. NOw I have something to show and no money...Timing stinks for me..LOL Maybe someday...

Alot of what Cristina said holds true for me as well. When I did have a colt with a trainer in the show ring.When he started beating people who I thought were my friends they quit talking to me or were very standoffish. That really hurt. I go out and buy my stock from well know breeders and bloodlines so I feel for the most part they are good quality horses.I enjoy them and I have always gotten compliments on them so that is good enough for me. One day I will show myself but for my fun and enjoyment not a ribbon. Showing is great for those who do it and one I will but right now it isnt possible.

I dont show... The idea has appealed to me at times but I think even then I wouldnt do the showing myself. I am like Lucky C Acres
default_smile.png
I went straight to college after HS and stayed 5 years getting different degrees and then went straight into the work field to start paying off those student loans
default_smile.png
So all "extra" money goes to that.... But Also I know nothing about showing other than what I read and see -- I wasnt in 4H growing up -- havent ever shown dogs or horses or ANYTHING... So I know I wouldnt have a clue and frankly I would be akward in the show rings trying to figure stuff out. I would much rather use all my free time just hanging out with the horses and enjoying them and let other people go out and do the showing
default_smile.png

CDE us actually what I am interested in too. CDE stands for Combined Driving Event. If you do a search on YouTube for CDE mini, etc. it will come up with videos you can watch. It is sort of the driving version of Eventing. The first phase is dressage in the ring, the second is marathon with hazards, and the third is a timed cones course. I have been able to see some in person and it looks like a blast. My ponies aren't registered so would be somewhat limited in regular shows anyhow. I'm not sure how far we can make it in CDE either since they are small ponies but probably over the height for VSE (Very Small Equine which is 39" and under). If you do a forum search it will come up with some threads to read about this type of driving also. There are quite a few forum members that are involved with it now.

I love my babies and trust you me, I show them a lot. Weekly in fact at the local nursing home. We get a blue or purple ribbon every week. I also show them at parades as in petting barns at the fair. They are meant to be seen.

I choose not to SHOW because of the money, the politics and I just don't really enjoy it. I do enjoy watching and visiting with those who do. I don't agree with the beauty pageant part, but if it wasn't so far, my babies would definitely be participating in every obstical class.

Once in a while I think, I would like to show, and then I remember all the primping that I would have to do. I'm not into all that. If I could show them naturally, I probably would.

Showing...hmmmmm.

I have attended quite a few shows now, with the people that I bought Bailey and Willow from. I help them prepare the horses and act like the support team at the show ring.

I enjoy going along to the shows and seeing all the gorgeous minis, but ohhh boy, it can get nasty!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's so competitive out there.

I am of the mind that my little horses are just 'perfect' the way they are and I don't need some judge to confirm that.

We get our kicks by entering local parades and taking them for walks around the neighbourhood. They are local celebrities and honestly, they are ribbon winners and 1st place getters in their own backyards!
default_wub.png

Now there is something I would enjoy! We rode our biggies in a few parades and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!! One of our horses was prancy and showy and everyone loved him! I would think the mini's would be even more fun because so many people have never seen a horse that small
default_yes.gif

OK I lied! I do enjoy watching one class at shows! I really enjoyed the obstacle classes
default_yes.gif
It's very interesting to see how certain horses react to different obstacles. And in biggie shows I really enjoy the trail classes (I think that's what they are called). Where they go over bridges, open gates and such! Looks very fun
default_yes.gif

Showing...hmmmmm.

I have attended quite a few shows now, with the people that I bought Bailey and Willow from. I help them prepare the horses and act like the support team at the show ring.

I enjoy going along to the shows and seeing all the gorgeous minis, but ohhh boy, it can get nasty!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's so competitive out there.

I am of the mind that my little horses are just 'perfect' the way they are and I don't need some judge to confirm that.

We get our kicks by entering local parades and taking them for walks around the neighbourhood. They are local celebrities and honestly, they are ribbon winners and 1st place getters in their own backyards!
default_wub.png

I love watching the horse shows! I love it more when it's my horse winning, LOL! I don't care to be the one in the show ring, though. It's not for me. I don't like getting dressed up and would prefer to be a spectator. That's why we hire a trainer.

Also, there aren't many shows in my area. Most would require an overnight stay, and it's too hard for me to arrange sitters for all my dogs and I miss them too much when I'm away. I'm also too lazy to "condition" and exercise and train the horses. I had big horses since I was a child, and loved every aspect of them, and always did rodeo sports, but with the miniatures I'm much happier just sitting in the pasture with them than walking them through a show ring.

The reason I don't show is simple, I don't believe any of my horses would like to be in the ring. I personally don't think it would be something they would enjoy. My horses are lazy.
default_wink.png
They just like to be horses.

My four horses are not registered, two are rescues with unknown pedigrees, and the third is very small and has cleft palate, and the last is just not registered because I didn't know any better when I got him as a 13-year-old. I have strong bonds with all my horses and I know them. I know that every one of them would be good at showing. But I don't think they would enjoy it.

That is the main reason I don't show.

I would really love to try my hand at showing, and might get too, with someone else's horses, that is.
default_yes.gif
But I am waiting to see what happens.

I do bring them to fairs, and do let little children ride Lightning. Faith has been the star of a few petting zoos. They are celebrities in their own right...and if they are happy, so am I.
default_smile.png

I show, though not a lot.

However, I want to chime in because for the first several years of owning minis, I had NO interest in showing. I only wanted to enjoy them as my horses, my pets, do some driving. I enjoyed the horses as much then as I do now.

Nothing wrong with not showing, however, I really think someone who aspires to breed show show their potential breeding animals and see how they stack up and to learn what is really nice physically and what is more of just a pet. I know that it has taught me a lot that I personally value and am happy to have inside my head
default_biggrin.png

If I was breeding I would most certainly want to show I think. It is probably a great way to network and get your name out there. I would think that it is a very important aspect to selling although I am sure you can sell without showing
default_yes.gif

I show, though not a lot.

However, I want to chime in because for the first several years of owning minis, I had NO interest in showing. I only wanted to enjoy them as my horses, my pets, do some driving. I enjoyed the horses as much then as I do now.

Nothing wrong with not showing, however, I really think someone who aspires to breed show show their potential breeding animals and see how they stack up and to learn what is really nice physically and what is more of just a pet. I know that it has taught me a lot that I personally value and am happy to have inside my head
default_biggrin.png

Hmmm. Well. I've yet to go to a mini show. I showed very extensively as a teen and young adult (I guess I'm not a young adult anymore at 34
default_sad.png
showing my own horses and catch-riding hunters and jumpers on the A Circuit; probably the most competitive English scene. I loved it! I did well, my horses did well, and I have great memories. But the money! Woo hoo. $20 000 for a season to show is not exagerrating (and many spend/spent much much more than that). So...as an adult making FAR less than my father did (thanks pops), I had to stop mooching and make my own way in the world.

I've almost gone to my first mini show a few times (outside circumstances stopped me from going). I have a beautiful new stallion that I know would do well, but...I really don't have the time. My time is spent looking after the farm and the animals (horses, dogs, etc). Unless I have a team behind me, I simply can't do it, I've realised. And I'm fine with that. I love my horses. I might like to show (not sure on that yet), but it's not the-end-all and be-all of everything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back