For those of you who did not think Einstein was a Dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I said I would post my little boy. He is over 5 months here. The girl holding him is 5.3 and weighs 106lbs.

Shrimp.jpg

The whole "in bed" thing was shown on "Super Tiny Animals" which I would have thought would have been on Animal Planet or some such, by now. If not then there was a good section of one of the episodes purely on Einstein, where the owner insists that he is like her child (she cannot have children but I do not see that as an excuse- to my mind it just makes it worse!) so this poor little beasts role in life is to be her child substitute, much like Paris Hilton.......

Incidentally, in the series, which of course is video, it is obvious that they are having quite a hard time holding him down. A horse can actually be taight to lie down quite easily, the trick, and the skill, is in getting them to stay down, willing and trustingly. These people do not have the skill to do that. My best bet is that, were they to get Einstein an equine companion- and there are plenty out there small enough- he would not interact with them at all, which of course is not what they want.......

I just watched a clip from the Super Tiny Animals and saw Einstein. It was sad to see the couple who owns him laughing about him not staying down. The more I see the less I think of these people. I wonder how the breeder feels about all this.

2minis4us

they are the breeders...

so sad.

I dont have facebook so cant see any videos or pics, but from his foal pics, I would be embarressed to publicly say he is of quality and "know" better!

Its all about $$$ and attention! Thats it!

No, the owners are not the breeders. They bought him for an undisclosed sum almost at birth, so, cynically, I am guessing that the breeders are not too upset at the whole thing. YOu will notice, however, how a stud/farm name is not used??

The farm he was bred by was Tiz A Miniature Horse Farm in New Hampshire. I remember when he was born and there were some videos of them and they seemed like very nice people. Here is their website. http://tizminihorses.com/index.html

I found one of his really cute baby pix on their scapbook page.

I am one of those who does not think he is a dwarf. He has a few faults, but none of the main characteristics of dwarfs in my opinion. I think he was tiny at birth but has grown to be a normal sized foal or 2 year old or whatever age he is by now.

Of course all of this is JMHO
default_smile.png

Susan O.

www.hilliardhorsestohug.com

He has a big head and a terribly roached back. I have always thought he just had terrible conformation. I am looking through the photos on the FB 'the smallest stallion'. Some of the photos are more recent I think.

His back looks bad, poor little guy. I am not saying he is a dwarf.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Taking into account what his sire looks like, what he has produced (including some questionable offspring), what the dam looks like, and her pedigree; I say that this is more than just a fluke when it comes to breeding.

We could argue this topic to death (and we have before) but there is nothing more we can do but speculate and use the limited amount of concrete knowledge from our own experiences with dwarfism and from John Eberths research. Until there is a test and he is tested (which I highly doubt he will ever be....) that is all we can do.

On the topic of excessive laying down; in 2007 we had a Type 3 dwarf colt named Simon. It was the dam's second foal and second dwarf. The first had very minimal characteristics and was our second foal overall. That foal passed away at two days. Simon stayed longer and was our little baby. We wrapped his legs and were in the process of ordering his "Magic Shoes". He would ALWAYS lay down. Looking at this boy it is obvious why. It doesn't take a conformational expert to know why. If I even have to explain why then I highly suggest you guys to look at a horse. Simon's health began to decline once fall hit and the night of the first frost (while weaning) he didn't come in from the pasture. He couldn't get up. We had to carry him into the barn that night; the following morning he was dead. There was nothing we could have done. What should have been done right from the start was euthanizing him. He was 6 months old.

EDIT: Click on photo to make it larger. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a form of Dwarfism that gets more obvious as they get older. Einstein is following that look as he ages. Bear Branch Painted Feather is his sire, who is out of a well known stallion.

There is a form of Dwarfism that gets more obvious as they get older. Einstein is following that look as he ages. Bear Branch Painted Feather is his sire, who is out of a well known stallion.
Personally, I think every type of dwarfism follows those lines; but I do get what you're saying. I have had a couple that as foals you'd be like, "Nah, no way." and then as yearlings, two year olds, and three years of age you're like, "Well I'll be darned...better get rid of any mirrors!"

I've had three youngsters end up that way. Looking at their dam's one could argue poor conformation but taking into account their pedigrees and what not you just have to take that call.

Here's one, a colt from 2007. This was a couple hours after birth. The most extreme trait you can see at this point is his neck/head ratio. Whhoooowwee.

196397_1772091913585_4519428_n.jpg

Here he is at four years of age. Nothing too bad, mind you. He was gelded with ease at nearly four years, acts like the lead stallion in the herd, and LOVES to kick up his heels. Nothing hindering this boy. He's stiff legged, cowhocked, SHORT neck, weee bit of an underbite, small eared (I firmly believe that this is a trait of carriers and dwarves after most of our carriers/dwarfs having small ears.), and etc. Just a quick picture of how noticeable it can get with age.

gallery_35574_243_3253.jpg

In response to the post that said a stud/farm name is not being used.......... I looked him up on the AMHA studbook and his name is Tiz Einstein.

So his farm did give him their prefix.

Susan O.

In response to the post that said a stud/farm name is not being used.......... I looked him up on the AMHA studbook and his name is Tiz Einstein.

So his farm did give him their prefix.

Susan O.
I just wanted to reply to your post to say that your chestnut filly and silver black roan colt this year were SO nice. Love, love, love them.

Thank you so much, Tremor
default_smile.png
I really appreciate that.

Susan O.

I did not mean to imply the farm had not put their name to him, only to point out that the owners never, ever mention it.....

I think he is really poorly conformed, and I am not sure if scoliosis is linked to any form of dwarfism, but since he has been operated on and steel bars fitted it is hardly surprising that he has a strange gait and a humped back!!

In this case I honestly do not think it is relevant as to whether or no he is a dwarf - he quite obviously is not breeding quality and we, just as obviously, can do nothing to prevent them breeding him or to stop them promoting him.

I think we should just ignore the whole circus as the old adage "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is sadly true.

Thanks for explaining, Rabbitsfizz. Sorry I misunderstood.

I never thought they ever had plans of breeding him. Anything I have ever seen about them and him was just about how much they love and enjoy him (even if some of the things they do are not quite what most people who have been around horses a lot more do with them).

But I might be wrong again, as I am often "out of the loop". For instance I never read about him having surgery and I'd like to read about that if there is a link somewhere that you could direct me to. Also if there has been mention by his owners of breeding him I never read that, but realize I might have missed it.

Susan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back