? for Myrna (& others!!)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
I'm finally starting to purchase new harness (good quality) and am looking at different ways of storing it... I have an "open" barn w/ a feed area sectioned off with cattle panels. During truly bad weather during the winter I can close the outside (extra large) doors and strap them shut so weather won't blow them apart. For milder weather, it's left open (simply easier!). I use the cattle panel area to hang bridle racks that most of our equipment hangs from. I do have 3 saddle racks that can be hung secured to wooden walls/posts - but haven't done that yet. Partially because not sure where I actually want them and partially because we lease this property and I want nothing that is "mine" to be considered permanent when our lease is over (we are trying to purchase it - but it hasn't happened yet)...

I currently have the metal bridle racks (temporary that hook over pipe or 2x4) and hook the bio saddle to it by hanging by the rein turret. I don't unhook the turnback or the breeching - but pickup the breeching and hang it on top of the saddle over the rein turret. The breast collar hangs on the hook next to it w/ the traces hung thru the slots. The bridle hangs by the bit over the breast collar.

Should I be unhooking the turnback/backstrap? What straps are better to disconnect and what are better to leave connected? On the leather breast collar, I also wind the traces up and tuck the ends thru rather than hooking them up by the slots. It's more fleible than the betathane ones and I prefer having it hung that way - however...?

I see your bridles are hooked by the crown like a "normal" bridle but have much more support than the moving hook mine is on. I was told by Draft horse drivers to hang mine by the bit to keep the blinders hanging nicely (draft horse blinders are HEAVY!). Right now - two of my bridles have blinders and one does not. My braided headstalls do not have blinders and they all hang on top of each other, LOL. So that you know - any leather and show type bridles and halters I've had (recently sold a bunch) WERE stored 'nicely" between towels in a rubbermaid bin in our house. Only "working, everyday" type bridles and halters were left in the barn. Everything in it is exposed to dampness from water condensation during high humidity and sometimes rain gets blown in. It's work to maintain the two western saddles and one english saddle that are leather! Soon selling the big saddle of mine - I haven't ridden in almost the full past year as I concentrate on driving the ponies... Our other saddles are all Wintecs both western and huntseat - much easier to care for and the weather (ing) taken in the barn isn't such a concern.

My draft style pairs harness is hung on a different type hook and isn't even on the hook itself but have a bungy cord that comes down and after I have the harness hanging the way I want it on my arm, I withdraw my arm bringing the bungy cord thru the harness and hames. Then hook it back up. OR I have a rope to do the same thing with - which I wrap around the hook and 1/2 hitch to hold in place. I then hang the bridle (by the bit) on another hook itself and the collar on over it (the work harness is hung on one of the 4 prong round hooks).

This seems to work - for now. But I DON"T want to damage the beta/bio-thane mini harness nor the leather harness that I have or any future harness(s) that I purchase.

Right now, the only harness (s) I'm condsidering to purchase will all be bio/betathane - as I prefer it to leather in our situation. Yes, after going to OH over the weekend of the 4th of July, I've been able to see even w/i the same harness shops differences in quality and level of "making" (lots of rivets & conway buckles vs sewing and "proper" buckles, different types/thicknesses of bio and beta vs leather). After returning home, I've had two different harness-s w/ conway buckles come loose while trotting down the road - and I'm giving some thought to how to turn those parts into buckle straps or just replacing them w/ buckle straps. It was quite an education and I'm sure I have lots more to learn in the future! This weekend while sick w/ the flu/cold, I've spent non-sleeping times perusing harness sites and making my own comparisons (I'd just started working two 2 yr olds in basic ground driving but that's on hold since I cough till I almost black out)... Well, if I have to miss beautiful driving weather - at least I can ask questions and study...LOL, and when head starts throbbing can put it up for a while, till can't stand sitting/resting quietly again!

When I go out to feed in a couple of hours, I'll see about taking some pics of my "mess"...

Ideally, harnesses and vehicles are stored in a climate controlled environment outside the place that the horses are stabled, as the urine ammonia can cause damage. However, for the majority of us, that is not feasible. My harnesses are in an insulated and lined tack room in the barn that is semi-heated in the winter by leaving the door between it and the shop. That does keep the harnesses away from the ammonia, although my barn rarely gets that bad. (We hardly ever leave horses in it.) I have to watch a little closer in the summer that it doesn't get too humid in the tack room and cause molding of the harness. We have a bathroom fan in the tack room that is run off the light, so when you turn the light on, the fan runs. This does help move air around in there. The heat should also not be too much to cause drying of the leather. This is not a big deal for synthetic harnesses. Actually, our synthetic is hung right in the barn on a 2x4 collapsable rack.

There are a number of ways to store a harness, but I believe in using a rack that will support the shape of the saddle. I have hung saddles by the terrets, but I can't imagine that is good for them. We put the saddle on the rack, twist the backstrap (aka turnback) one twist and put the breeching on the same rack. I like to twist it the other way the next time I use it. If the harness is not going to be used for a time, we disconnect the backstrap. (Actually, I take apart most of the harness and hang it on the rack.) The breastcollar is also on that rack with the traces either hanging or the ends just looped tucked under. I wouldn't wrap up traces. Anytime you "bend" the leather, you are asking for wear. The straighter, the better, especially pieces that are designed to be straight. The racks allow the leather to be as straight as possible and still not take up too much space. A narrow hook will not support the leather and can cause it to crack at the point of hanging.

I have not heard the idea of hanging a bridle from the bit. I have been to some upper level barns, and that is not how they hang their carriage driving bridles.

Myrna

I work with draft horses (and yes, those bridles are heavy!) and I've never seen bridles hung by the bits. I've always seen them hung by the crown, and always on a curved rack that holds the shape of the crown.

Andrea

Neck collars should be kept buckled or latched and hung upside down on a curved rack in order to keep their shape. Cruppers should also be kept buckled for the same reason. (My trainer has me simply slide the saddle, backstrap and breeching off over the rump and slide the crupper down the tail without ever unbuckling it.) I keep everything else buckled, including the neckstrap. I put my breastcollars on over the head turned upside down just as you'd put on a neck collar. It saves time in harnessing!

Leia

I used old coffee tins to drape stuff over when I had enough to need to do this- nowadays I keep it all in individual kids plastic treasure chests- the one with lockable lids! (yes another car boot purchase, cost me pennies- mind you the coffee tins cost nothing...)

I used old coffee tins to drape stuff over
Love this idea! I ran right out and used it. Until I can find some regular bridle holders the cans are working great. A can even fits inside my harness bags for the bridle.

While visiting the barn where I plan to take some lessons, I saw all the stall and grooming areas fitted with bridle hooks--never saw them before. I plan to order some, but the cans are working great meantime.

Wanted to thank everyone on the answers! And on some new ideas.

At first, I thought the draft bridle hanging by bit might be a "southern thing" - but several draft horse books and videos I've gotten - filmed &/or written in CO and mid-west - show pics and footage of draft bridles being hung by the bit. The lines are attached to the rings of the hames.

Most of the farms that I've visited here have had their bridles hanging on differnt types of hangers by the crown as with riding bridles. But several (& not just draft horse barns) have been hanging by the bit rather than the crown... I was just curious about the practice and wether it was done with mini/small pony harness.

My neck collars stay buckled, but haven't had them hanging upside down...

Never thought to keep the crupper buckled or to re-buckle it after removing it. Hmm...

Latest posts

Back