For horses that are hard to deworm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
Many of you probably already know of this little tip, but in case you don't...

Clean out an old dewormer tube and put honey in it as a treat for your horses. They will crowd you and each other when it's time to be dewormed.

I have been giving honey in a dewormer tube for a few days. Two of my horses were a nightmare to deworm before (one even had to get her Dewormer mixed into a little bit of grain). My horses were due to be dewormed again, but I didn't want to have to fight with them, so I started giving them honey in a dewormer tube every night. At first, they would fight it, but then they realized it tasted good and started grabbing the tube and not letting go.

I was planning on waiting until next week to deworm them, but yesterday one of them bit down on the tube and broke it. I dewormed them today, without any problem. I gave them some honey with the broken tube (it still works as long as the stopper thing is pushed down into the tube) after I dewormed them, and by the time I got to the last horse, I had to push the other ones out of the way, because they wanted more XD

Awesome! Thanks for the tip
default_smile.png

I've used applesauce with my hard to deworm mare, she's getting better. Might try honey, maybe we'll get there faster.

Another tip that I read in a horse magazine, was to buy (or make) those special cookie shaped horse treats. Your supposed to put the wormer between the two cookies like an oreo. The horse gobbles up the cookie so fast they don't even realize or really taste the wormer.

My horses are all pretty easy to worm, so I've never tried it, but I thought it sounded like a great idea.

now days you can actually get a wormer in a pellet that you can mix straight into the feed.

Thanks for the honey tip, Ill def be trying that
default_smile.png

This worked awesome for my little troublesome Shetland I had a few years ago.
default_smile.png

My minis love the wormer paste, It is apple flavored lol.

Here, Bimectin is an ivermectin based dewormer that tastes like apples. Our horses love it. After getting it, some of them beg for more like for treats. We've also given folded slices of bread like it's treat time and after a slice or two, slipped dewormer in the bread for our hard ones and they didn't miss a beat on snarfing up the "treat".

When Flash was a little (littler?) guy, his first experience being wormed was with apple-flavored Safe-Guard. He's now 11, and to this day he thinks all dewormers are yummy treats and pushes the other horses out of the way so that he is first in line.

My filly is like that. I got her at 8 months and have never had any trouble deworming her. The other 2 came to me hating the dewormer, and changing their minds about it was hard until I used the honey trick. Is there a flavored version of zimectrin gold?

Latest posts

Back