For genetic experts..question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
I read something interesting last night saying that in humans if a male and female both have blue eyes their children will have blue eyes 100% of the time but if one has blue eyes and the other brown eyes, in 1/4 of the children you will get blue eyes. Reading that article made me think that blue eyes are "dominant"? when paired with blue eyes? Is it the same in horses? Those of you who have bred blue eyes to blue eyes, have you ever had a brown eyed foal?

Good question Danielle. I am no help answering it as we have only had one foal so far from a blue eyed to blue eyed cross, and yes the filly has blue eyes. I will be interested to see what others have to say also.

I would say that when you are using a punnet square, you still have only a 25 percent chance of having blue eyes, 50 percent of being a carrier and 25 % of not having blue eyes.

I am not a genetic expert but the fourth generation breeder.

Its called the Mendel law. Old Mendel was a monk in Germany and he did tests with white and black bunnies over generations.

blue eye + blue eye = blue eye, if not a grandparent had brown eyes which can come through.

brown eye + blue eye = 1/3 blue 3/4 of them brown because the dark color is dominant. Very rar is one eye blue and one brown.

Anita

not a genetics expert at all but i can tell you hubby and i both have blue eyes. we have two blue eyed children and one brown eyed.

I don't know if eye color in humans can be accurately correlated to the genetics of eye color in horses. After all, humans are not typically "pinto" colored, and as we know, a horse's eye color is directly related to pinto genetics of splash and frame.

That being said, I have bred two brown eyed horses and gotten blue eyed offspring. And I have bred blue eyed horses and gotten brown eyed offspring. I think it is more controlled by the pinto genes than anything else.

No eye colour linked to a pattern is a completely different scenario to inherited eye colour.

Also you cannot directly link inheritance of colours between species- for instance dogs have a completely different colour inheritance to horses, as do humans.

I cannot remember the inheritance rate in humans, sorry, but it is never cast in stone anyway!!

Boy Kaykay, don't let your hubby see the article I saw, ROFL. It said that two parents both having blue eyes will have a blue eyed child or the child isn't his :new_shocked: :eek: :bgrin .

Boy Kaykay, don't let your hubby see the article I saw, ROFL. It said that two parents both having blue eyes will have a blue eyed child or the child isn't his :new_shocked: :eek: :bgrin .
That's what *I* thought!! :eek: I can't claim to be a genetics expert in any way tho!!

I do know that hazel eyes can "appear" to be brown, but aren't.... I'm not sure how hazel would fit in with the "brown" and "blue" genetic chart-- all I remember from science class was brown and blue eyes, and not all of it either apparently.

Well, I wish my babies had read the odds.

We have 4 children and as parents I am blue, hubby is brown and all 4 children have blue eyes.

jWAs always hoping for a brown eyed child. :new_shocked:

omg lmbo. thanks ladies!! kennys eyes are kinda hazel brown?? his have flecks of color in them but more like green. I can guarantee you hes my husbands lol. And just to shake things up mine often change color which has scared quite a few people when Im talking to them and they change. I think this may have happened when I met bonnie at nationals but youll have to ask her. I get accused constantly of wearing colored contacts LOL

I was one of 7 children of two brown eyed parents. Only one sister and myself have blue eyes. I was also told years ago that brown plus brown cant equal blue.

so is this horses or humans? LOL

blue eye + blue eye = blue eye, if not a grandparent had brown eyes which can come through.

We bred rocket here and he had one blue eye. All but one foal has one blue eye. His most recent colt born this year half the eye is really light blue and the other half is dark blue.

okay you guys got me curious so i looked up a couple articles. Apparently the one you are quoting is based on older information before they found that there are 3 genes responsible for eye color

n humans three genes involved in eye color are known. They explain typical patterns of inheritance of brown, green, and blue eye colors. However, they don't explain everything. Grey eye color, Hazel eye color, and multiple shades of blue, brown, green, and grey are not explained. The molecular basis of these genes is not known. What proteins they produce and how these proteins produce eye color is not known. Eye color at birth is often blue, and later turns to a darker color. Why eye color can change over time is not known. An additional gene for green is also postulated, and there are reports of blue eyed parents producing brown eyed children (which the three known genes can't easily explain [mutations, modifier genes that supress brown, and additional brown genes are all potential explanations]).

The known Human Eye color genes are: EYCL1 (also called gey), the Green/blue eye color gene, located on chromosome 19 (though there is also evidence that another gene with similar activity exists but is not on chromosome 19). EYCL2 (also called bey1), the central brown eye color gene, possibly located on chromosome 15. EYCL3 (also called bey2), the Brown/blue eye color gene located on chromosome 15. A second gene for green has also been postulated. Other eye colors including grey and hazel are not yet explained. We do not yet know what these genes make, or how they produce eye colors. The two gene model (EYCL1 and EYCL3) used above explains only a portion of human eye color inheritance. Both additional eye color genes and modifier genes are almost certainly involved.

And this one

It is possible for two brown-eyed parents to have a child with a different eye color than theirs. For two brown-eyed parents to have a blue-eyed child, for example, the mother and father would need to pass on a pair of blue alleles each to their offspring. If this child were to get one green allele in this mix instead, s/he would have green eyes; however, if a brown allele is present, regardless of what the other three alleles are, the child would have brown eyes.

But wait, you say: this two gene model cannot explain the inheritance of gray or hazel colored eyes, nor can it explain how two blue-eyed parents can have brown-eyed progeny. It appears that as of yet to be determined modifier genes, other eye color genes, mutations, and/or possibly additional factors are involved in eye color inheritance.

Last edited:
Blue and green are recessive to brown. That means that although the blue/green is the visual color the genes for brown are there. Both of my parents have green eyes, my only brother has green eyes. I have dark brown eyes and am genetically their child (old child heheheh)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether or not your children (human) would have blue or brown eyes when both parents have blue, depends on whether both parents have two blue eyed genes. A lot of people with blue eyes also carry a brown eye gene. I guess if they both had only "blue eye genes" then yes, they would have all blue eyed children.

I had a colt born this year, neither parent has blue eyes, he had one blue eye and one brown eye.

HELLO,

WE HAVE A 2006 APHA BIG PAINT FILLY BORN THIS YEAR, SHE HAS ONE BLUE EYE AND ONE BROWN EYE. THIS FILLY DAM AND SIRE HAVE BOTH BROWN EYES. I WAS TOLD BY OUR VET THE GRANDSIRE OR GRANDDAM MUSTED HAVE HAD BLUE EYES. WE WERE SO HAPPY TO GET A BLUE EYED FILLY FROM THIS MARE. I LOVE THE BLUE EYED HORSES.

WE HOPE THAT OUR SORREL AND WHITE PINTO FILLY DUE NEXT YEAR WILL MAYBE THROW A BLUE EYED FOAL FOR US LIKE THIS BIG MARE DID. THE SORREL AND WHITE PINTO HAS BROWN EYES AND SO THE DOES THE STUD SHE IS BREED TO HE IS A PALOMINO AND WHITE PINTO. THE MARE PINTO GRANDSIRE HAS ONE BLUE EYED, SO MAYBE WE WILL GET LUCKY.

TAKE CARE,

MELISSA

What's worse in humans is trying to figure out something like Blue-grey!

My Father and Mother both have brown eyes. I have brown eyes with some color change to them, and my brother has blue. Seems the grandfather or great grandfather on one side was blue-eyed, and I think my uncle on the other side was too. Now toss all that together, and add in my husband- Dave has grey-blue (more grey then blue most of the time) eyes that color change by mood. Nathan's eyes are blue-grey (more blue then grey), but also color change- so he can go anywhere from pale grey-blue to some amazing shades of blue with mixes of browns, yellows, and greens at times.

Genetics are still being learned, big time
default_smile.png
But I seem to recall that green is recessive to blue & brown, and blue to brown... They say green eyes are becoming rarer?

:no: Green eyes and red hair are both becoming rarer. Both genes were only found in the Celtic people which is quickly becoming diluted, even in predominant Celtic areas such as Scotland and Ireland.

Latest posts

Back