? for color expersts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Okay I have a color questions for all you experts. I have this double appy bred mare that is just starting to get mottling and roaning throughout her body. She also has these dark spot mainly on her lower hip, gaskin area. There are a few small ones throughout her body.

What do you call these dark spots? Are they the cause of the appy or pinto gene or can both get them? This is not shading.

Photo below.

IMG_5081.JPG

I am not sure if I am seeing them. Are they rather large patches of darker hair. It looks to me like she may just be shedding her winter coat and the color will even out later in the year. maybe if you had a larger picture without any shadows.

It is quite large there just above the gaskin muscle. It is a dark colored hair patch. She also has some smaller ones on her side and on the other side. NO it is not because this mare is shedding. She had them with her winter coat and she is ALL shedded out now. It almost looks like a dirty spot. Just wondering if there is a name for these spots and if they come from the appy gene?

Thank you Tagalong.

I know I have seen them on palominos but have not seen them on sorrel/chestnuts. I do remember now the term Bend spots but just needed someone to jog my memory. Thanks again for the link.

Latest posts

Back