For-bid - mix with feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
Just noticed this item in the Jeffers catalog. Anyone use it?

For bid - Hightly palatable protein which, when mixed with feed, helps prevent consumption of feces. Horses - 1 1/2 pkt for 2 days appears to curb this habit. $1.19 for one pkt. Have reduced hay-pasture for an overweight horse so now he is eating some of his manure. Picking the manure up twice a day but can't get it all.

I would be concerned that if it was bad going in the second time it might make the food taste bad the first time? We had a show gelding that had started to eat his own manure, until I finally found the right combination of food for him. With him it was that he was never getting that full feeling after eating, soooo what we did was cut back on his sweet feed, increased his oats, added beet pulp and some alfalfa. Then we wetted the feed down and soaked with warm water (cold in summer) until it was swollen. He ate everything, was full and no more manure eating! He has been a happy camper since. I still feel that if they are eating poop, it is for a reason you will just need to adjust until you find the right mix. It could be a suppliment he is missing out on, or plain old boredom. We also took our geldings hay ration in the mornings and evenings and scattered it all around so he would have to spend more time finding it. Good luck!

I have used forbid off and on, it has been on the market for maybe 20-30 years now. It was originally developed for use in dogs.

it really seems to have no taste at all to the horses, and they don't mind it a bit. It is granulated, and will stick to the feed if you use a bit of water or molasses to make sure it doesn't fall to the bottom of the dish with the feed crumbs. Of course most horses lick the bottom of the feed bowl anyways.... it really is an inexpensive cure for an ugly habit. It is enzymes that are harmless to the horse's system but enzymes which make other things they eat (poop!)

taste bad... it doesn't seem to affect their appetite for hay, grass, grain, etc at all.

Latest posts

Back