For All You pH & Calcium Testers.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I have a question that I thought would belong perfectly here on this lovely board.

I have a mare that is bagging heavily and is developing the v belly, sunken and squishy tailhead and has some major irritability issues towards the other mares - usually she is good as gold. I just tested her today since she has yellow sticky milk coming in - and she tested about 7.8 pH and between 400 ppm & 750 ppm calcium. I have been testing her acording to the instructions on Crayonbox Miniatures website.

My question being - it seems to be very high in the calcium range and still kinda high in the pH range which I know should drop to 6.4 or less to indicate imminent foaling. Should I see a dramatic change in pH here shortly and if so, based on the calcium readings, does anyone have a clue as to how soon she could go? The calcium seems to be in the range that I need but I just need that dang pH to drop!

PS: I have her in her stall with the cameras going (sorry, not good enough internet to have it on marestare yet) and she is being monitored via a breeder alert system.

Any advice appreciated from you lovely ladies! Hopefully I will post a picture soon!

ABOUT THE EXPECTING SIRE & DAM:

The momma to be is my palomino tobiano & splash overo double bred Buckeroo grand-daughter who is AMHA/AMHR registered and the sire of this upcoming foal is my bay tobiano/splash overo/sabino blue eyed Magic Man grandson who is also AMHA/AMHR registered. This foal, regardless of gender is going to be a keeper, and will be shown. I expect this cross to be a knockout and I cant wait to see the results!

I will try to upload pictures this afternoon
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As Tina says, they can drop very quickly when this close. Keep an eye on the colour inside her vulva as this might give you the final clue. It sounds as though she will foal very soon/any minute (!!), so glad that you are watching her closely.

Good luck, safe foaling, and dont forget to announce it here - with pics as well!!

I am so glad Tina posted her 'drops' as they were faster than most. So, keep testing at least twice a day, as she can drop VERY suddenly. Praying for a safe foaling for you, and I hope you share more about your 'almost' momma with us! Pictures are LOVED!

Just wanted to update everyone that Daisy has had some major progress!

Her milk is now thick like honey and is oozing out when I get samples, causing her to wax (this just started today). It is a golden/whitish color and when I put it into the distilled water, it doesn't mix like it used to.

She is testing 6.8 pH!

We are dealing with rain right now so I am hoping the drop in barometric pressure will push things along.

How long do mares usually hold out when dropping to 6.8ph?

I'd watch as she could go within 24 hours. We've had a mare here who dropped from the 7's to delivery in one day. I'd be watching like a hawk, as once they reach that 6.8 mark, they can go quickly, or drop slowly.

How's that for a "anything goes" answer??
default_whistling.gif

She's close enough to bear watching constantly. Happy foaling! Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery, and will be watching for your announcement!

UPDATE

She is reading 6.2ph this morning and her milk has changed over to a pure white creamy sweet milk so here is to hoping she foals soon!

Praying for a safe and uneventful foaling of a healthy baby! Sounds like she'll go today or tomorrow for sure! I've seen a few have their pH's rise again, but that's usually the 'odd' girl.

Happy foaling! Can't wait for the announcement!

Still no foal yet but she's looking promising - her milk looks like I poured whole cows milk! Shes been doing a bit of roll and kicking at her belly so hopefully she will have it this afternoon and I can sleep tonight!

Make yourself a nice bed in the hay and watch her overnight to be sure. Can't wait for your announcement!

She's right between 6.2 & 6.8 on my strips (they don't have an inbetween color on the chart).

I don't see how she could go two more weeks, she has the relaxed vulva, super huge and tight udder with engorged nipples, dropped with the V, pointed jello butt and loose tailhead.......

I've contacted her previous owner who she had foals for to see if she can give me some insight into her patterns of foaling.....I will post when I get a reply to that email....

In the meantime, I will tell you some about the expected momma to be and the sire to this foal in my OP
default_smile.png

This may be a 'tired' time for you, but watching her carefully day and night is important at this time. This is when we're all tired, but once baby arrives safely, I promise, you'll forget about being tired!

Keep us posted!

This is when the cocktail sticks are useful to hold the eyelids open!! Good luck, dont give up, she will go soon.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back