Food Lovers Guide

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
I love cooking , more so in winter when its not so hot. However , I really get over cooking the same things all the time. Love trying different Salads , slow cooked meals , BBQs, pastas 

Id love some suggestions for easy meals, whether its a recipe you have tried recently , something your famous for, something you've been meaning to try cooking or even what you had for dinner tonight :)

I got a spiralizer. I've only used it on squash.  It makes a big pile of spaghetti-looking squash that is fun to cook.  I have given it a quick boil to serve with vegetables topped with crumbled feta.  Also sauteed it with some dried chilies from the garden and served it as a side dish.  I only have a hand one, but since I like it so well I'm looking into an electric one.

That sounds really good, I think there is a lady who may sell something similar at the market I go to. Ill check it out on Saturday. 

Its Mandarin season here at the moment, so I plan on trying a slow cooked chicken dish over the weekend. Unfortunately not out of the garden this year, they are a little small. 

Love cooking too........and have to come up with "quick" meals a lot because the hubby leaves for work at 7 p.m.  What meats do you prefer? Oh, and I'm a pasta lover too.

Will get back with the family's favorites.

Really like most meats , Love cooking a slow cooked roast , then using the left overs the following night in something completely different. 

Looking forward to hearing about the Family Favs :)

On a side note, I just got back from the America and got to try Gator in New Orleans. Had never tried it before but really enjoyed it !!

Really like most meats , Love cooking a slow cooked roast , then using the left overs the following night in something completely different. 

On a side note, I just got back from the America and got to try Gator in New Orleans. Had never tried it before but really enjoyed it !!
Taste like chicken?  I have eaten rattlesnake.

Only had gator once and it DID taste a bit like chicken....with a twist. LOL.  It was during a New Orleans trip for me too. I have several recipes pulled out, some slow cooker, and a couple not. I thought I'd post them individually in case you want to copy and paste any....  Since you mentioned liking "slow cooked roast", I'll start with my favorite.

THREE PACKET SLOW COOKER ROAST

1 cup water, 1 package of dry Italian style salad dressing, 1 package ranch dressing mix, 1 packet dry brown gravy mix.

1 - 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast.

Whisk together the water and 3 packets of mixes listed in a bowl until smooth. Place roast in the slow cooker and pour the mix on top.

(I add 3 or 4 quartered red potatoes, a couple of chopped carrots, and a small onion - sliced, and spread everything over and around the meat.)

Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. (About a half hour or 15 minutes prior to being done, I put 3 or 4 Tablespoons of Cornstarch in a small bowl and pull some spoonfuls of juice from the crockpot and mix til smooth, then pour it all back. It makes a nice gravy.)

Will post more later........

FRENCH STYLE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN

6 medium boneless/skinless Chicken Breasts (I use about 4)

1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth (I use dry sherry)

1 can cream of mushroom soup

4 oz. mushrooms, sliced.

salt and pepper to taste

Paprika.

1 cup sour cream, mixed with 1/4 cup flour.

Place chicken in crock pot and sprinkle lightly with salt,  pepper, & paprika.  Mix the wine, soup, and mushrooms in a bowl. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle a little more paprika.

Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours. (I do the High).  Remove the chicken in the last 30 minutes and stir in the sour cream/flour mixture, then return.

Serve the chicken and sauce over rice or sliced cooked potatoes......or even mashed potatoes!

Another Chicken meal.....Ready?

SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCKPOT CHICKEN  (for 4 adults, it says)

2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in chunks

1(+) cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup soy sauce

(I add a pinch of ground ginger and a 1/2 tsp. salt, plus a can of pineapple tidbits or chunks. The juice from the can is included in the amount listed above.)

Place chicken in crock pot that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Mix the above minus the pineapple tidbits and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

About a half hour before being done mix  2 Tablespoons of corn starch with about a 1/2 cup of the liquid that's been pulled from the crock pot and return it to thicken the sauce. Add the pineapple tidbits - about a half cup is good, then let things bubble or thicken a bit.

Serve over rice.

They sound great , thanks so much ( printing them out right now )

What was Rattlesnake like Marsha ? 

I did Lamb in the slow cooker last night .

Layer the bottom of the slow cooker with mini potatoes and carrots (cut long )

Stab the leg of lamb with a knife and then stuff bits of fresh rosemary and mint into it. Cover in thick Apricot Jam and cook for 8 Hours.

This also works really well with Beef :)

I haven't been to New Orleans since the hurricane.  Probably lots of changes since then.  Didn't eat gator while there, but did try turtle.  My sister lived there for several years.  Loved the swamp; it was beautiful.  It may be destroyed now.

Two more recipes that are NOT crock pot.........but easy and quick........These are the last two.......

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHICKEN

4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I cut them in half and butterfly them)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese,  1 cup plain yogurt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix all together in a bowl.

Place chicken in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spread the mixture over the chicken. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  Serve the sauce and chicken over rice.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PARMESAN BAKED PORK CHOPS

4+ Boneless Pork Chops

1 Tablespoon olive oil per chop, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp.. garlic powder.

On a plate combine the dry ingredients. Rub the chops with olive oil and coat each one with the cheese mixture. Press the mixture  into the meat to make sure they are well covered. Line a baking pan with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Place pork chops in the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.

(I serve this with a choice of gourmet mustards and chutney as dips.) The foil is important. I didn't do it once and the chops weren't as moist.

New Orleans was one of my favorite  places I got to travel too last month. The swamp was really lovely and according to the guide most of it had grown back. 

I did stuffed Zucchinis last night . When I grow them in summer here , we live off this recipe :)

In a bowl , Finely dice

Ham, sundried tomatos, celery, onion ( any other meat works well, even left overs) Dried herbs, fresh basil , Oregano , Parsley. Crumbed fetta.  Mix well !!

Scoop out the zucchini so Its like a hollow boat and fill with the mixture. 

Top with grated cheese of your choice (this will stop the mixture from burning ) 

Cook on low for about 1/2 an hour - 45 mins

MiniV I love chutneys and mustards :)   

I had heaps of Blood plums last year , so I made a Plum chutney 

YUM!  I'm copying your zuke recipe!!!

Tonight I did a "cheater meal"....because it's using pre-made food.........

Baked chicken, stuffing and gravy ---

Make the boxed stuffing (aka Stove Top).  Trim your chicken breasts (I cut them in half) and put them in a greased baking pan. Cover the chicken with the stuffing.

Mix a jar of chicken gravy with a little bit of water.......just me.....it's too thick to my liking........ Pour the gravy over the stuffing and chicken and pop into the oven.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serve with cranberry sauce if desired.......

Thanks for that Zucchini recipe!  And more power to you for making the plum chutney......Wow.

This is an easy one and quite tasty.....

Use ground beef and grate an onion & carrot. Add some dried italian herbs , pinch of paprika. Roll into Rissoles and brown on each side in a fry pan. 

Put them into an oven proof dish and pour a can of tomato soup over and bake with the lid closed 180c fan forced for about an hour.

You can substitute with a jar of pasta sauce , tin tomatoes etc. 

Creamy Garlic Chicken. Cook in Electric frypan

Chicken Breast or thighs ( what ever you have on hand) 

Cook chicken and add 1 Sliced onion and 2-3 cloves of Garlic ( minced)

Add 2 x packets of Dried "french Onion Soup" & 125mls of water 

Once combined add 1 bottle of large cream .

Turn down to low and cook till cream thickens.

Add some peas or any other veggies.

Goes well with thick bread :)

Had friends over on the weekend , so did Tacos 3x different ways. Beef in the slow cooker , sweet sticky pork Belly and fish tacos :)

Made a really nice baked chicken risotto last night. 

Set your oven to 170 degrees fan forced

Brown your chicken, onion, celery, mushrooms in a deep pan. Add two cups of aborio rice and continue browning for 2-3 mins. Add some dried herbs of your choice ( I use a basic italian herb mix)

Add 4 x cups of chicken stock, stir well and put in the oven, cooking for 15 mins.

Add 1 cup of peas, zucchini and any other veggies you like and continue to cook for 25 mins.

Add some fresh herbs of your choice and serve !!

This was the first time I have made this and I got heaps of compliments, So I will be cooking it again :)

Latest posts

Back