Fontline question????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
Since Frontline came out I have been "flealess" and LOVED it!! I never had to use it much as my two cats are "indoor girls" and our Boxer Maggie stays in the yard with us when outside and my husband is good about keeping up with pest control.

A few months ago we had a kitten born in our barn and abandonded (think something ate Mom), and I've been treating him with frontline. He's been neautered and had all his shots and been dewormed. He stays outside. He's spent two nights in our home. One during Faye and the other the night was was neutered. The first time I frontlined him I treated only him. About 2 1/2 wks ago I treated everyone and am still seeing fleas.

A friend of mine is a tech in a clinic and she said its like the fleas have developed an immunity to it. I talked to her about some options and found there are few. She recommmended Advantage for the cats and a pill, I believe she said was "comfortis" for our boxer. Anyone else have a safe product that works????

I've never had any issues with the Frontline, been using it for years.....knocking on wood.....

Frontline does not work for us at all. For the dogs we use K-9 Advantix, BUT my 12 year old JRT had a severe reaction to it the last time and we almost lost him. We used Frontline for a few years and now the Advantix, but apparently he's developed a sensitivity
default_no.gif

Im sorry I cant help you with your cat but I noticed about a yr. and 1/2 ago that Frontline was no longer working for my dogs!! In Fla. the fleas are horrendous and my little girl had such a hard time with them...she was just eatting herself raw and frontline was not touching them. Capstar helped some what ( kills all w/in a few days ) but still not complete relief. Advantage was tried and still no help. By this point she had lost alot of weight had no fur on her tail ( looked just like a rats tail ) This poor girl scratched and bit at her self 24/7. Finally someone told me about Comfortis. She is now like a new little puppy...MAJOR difference...complete NEW DOG!! Full bushy tail...she has lots of energy ( she never slept before B/C she was too busy scratching herself ). Maybe you can check to see if Comfortis has something for cats. Good luck...I know it stinks watching our fur kids suffer with these nasty fleas. Good luck w/your kitty

ProMeris is the new chemical that is out, and it has had a lot of really serious reactions on dogs. Frontline is seeing some resistance, so bad that some vets have stopped carrying it due to the complete lack of control. We still use Frontline, and will until we see signs of resistance on him, and then we'll have to look hard to find a safe alternative
default_sad.png

I use all natural pest control on my dogs and around the house. Bugs can't resist getting microscopically slashed open by Diatomaceous Earth. ;) They also hate the taste and smell of BugOff Garlic. Then there's Natural Defense products "just in case." And Natural Chemistry's DeFlea makes for an excellent all natural, pest killing shampoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! We use it and pay $39+ for it. It has not worked worth a diddle this year. Never had so much trouble with it before this year.

Vet told me not to waste my money on frontline

im having a bad problem with the little boogers

im trying anything and everything was even thinking about posting here to see if anyone had ideas

Yes, most of the traditional treatments have been USELESS here at our place in west central Florida this year. We have treated the yard several times, bombed and sprayed the house and garage, tried Frontline, Advantage, K9 Advantix and Biospot Dip. Short of totally poisoning the poor things I did not know what to do. Today we picked up a new shampoo, Capstar and biospot drops. I have added garlic to their food all along too and will continue that. I will gladly pay the $10/mo per dog for Comfortis if this doesn't work.

In addition I think the fly predators we have used the last three months is what has been giving our little stallion Boss hives. Thank goodness that MTG gives him immediate relief (even if no one wants to touch him because he is oily and stinks) and we do have very few flies.

I FEEL LIKE THE CREEPY CRAWLIES ARE TAKING OVER!!!. :arg!

We always used Frontline..last 2 years if I would have thrown my money in the trash would have been the same..it did absolutly nothing..I tried ProMeris and it worked great!

Nathan, I tried ProMeris and it didn't do a thing for the fleas, but my dogs didn't have a reaction. I have used K9 Advantix for years and it always worked great--until this year. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that can't get rid of them! My dogs aren't infested, but we do have fleas when normally I never see any and my dogs would rarely scratch.

I talked to one of the girls in the Vets office this morning and it was the Promeris that she was telling me about that worked on both the fleas and the ticks. She did offer a strong word of caution regarding it so I'm assuming they've had some trouble with it. Between her words of caution and Nathan's reports of reactions with it, that is good enough for me. Maggie is a sensitive Boxer and I will try the Comfortis first.

Because of the fact that I frontlined everyone 2 1/2 wks ago I only have 1 option for the cats right now and that is some pill that I can't remember the name of but it will only work for 1 day and only kill the adult fleas. Then they have a spray that she said works really well for the house and then We'll start Maggie on the Comfortis. Happy Monday to me!!!!
default_wacko.png

This is so frustrating. I never thought I'd ever have problems with fleas ever again. Maggie is 5 and is beside herself because she has never had fleas EVER.

What I do find interesting is that it is working for some and not at all for others. When our kitten was old enough to frontline, I found a dose up in the cupboard that had probably been up there for 2 or 3 yrs. I looked for an outdate and didn't find one so I called Merial and was told that there was no expiration date on frontline. As long as the package is sealed the frontline is still good. I'm wondering if the older stuff looses its potency.

I am a professional pet groomer and manager of a well named Petco COrp..
default_wink.png

Your complaint with Frontline and other flea issues are every few customers..

My suggestions, treat your home and your yard; fully.... and treat your animals.. My best advice..

"Frontline stopped working for Fluffy"..

"Switch brands".. example "Advantage"..

Though, mostly treat your home and yard..

Also, remember the amount of fleas you could be bringing in yourself from being with other animals, in grasses, the woods, etc.. pets are not the only ones that carry them in!

I have seen numerous animals invested with fleas and beyond.. I have also seen animals that were bald with open sores from the flea literally eating them to death and the allergies not to mention..

I groomed a cat today that was covered in them.. one flea bite on my chin (from holding the cat) and my whole lips were numb and itching.. not to mention swollen..
default_no.gif

Good luck.

We're having problems with getting anything to work for the fleas as well. This whole little community is complaining about the flea problems and nothing seems to really work. With our 8 dogs, frontline isn't working for us. Our vet said alot of folks were complaining about it. We're tried biospot and numerous dips. Put out ortho max everywhere as well as rock salt and the lime stuff. Sprayed with other sprays that were recommended in the yard and pasture. Still seeing fleas on the dogs. Shampooed them again today. Can't stand to see them suffer and being miserable. Looking forward to cold weather.
default_smile.png

Frontline works best on oily hair coats, so if your pets has dry hair-stiff, dandruff no shine) then it wont work as well. You must also wait 48 hours after a bath to apply it to allow your pets oil come back into the hair. Everytime that your pet is bathed or gets in the water for a swim, the water will wash a bit more off. Products like flea shampoo or baby shampoos will strip the oils right out of the hair coat, remember they might be safe for eyes, but baby shampoos were invented to use on cradle cap babyies that crust of grease stuck to the top of their heads. If a high infestation area, you might have to apply your flea product it every 3 weeks.

Advantage & Advantage Multi ( with heartworm prevention) are our biggest sellers. We carry comfortis 1 a month flea pill which works great too. The capstar use to be the best, but it is a short kill. It is the perfect pill to give wait an hour & wash your dog/cat. By then the fleas are all dead & drying. Then apply advantage flea control for best results. But remember into order to kill the fleas the fleas have to be on your pet, either crawing through the hair with the product on it, or getting a blood meal & injested the product. You may be killing fleas, check to see if the new fleas you see are smaller, which is the next generation that just hatched. Wash your dogs bedding very well, fog your house, use it on the outdoor cats, we call them flea bags as they are the worst spreaders of fleas in a neighborhood. Remember fleas can lay dormant all winter in the grass & leaves & just wait to hatch & come back.

Good luck!

I have had the best luck with Revolution. The assistance dog program I used to work at used Frontiline and Heartguard, we did find that there were still problems with fleas from time to time. I had been using Revolution on my own dogs and after awhile they changed to it as well. I like it because it does the job of both Frontline and Heartguard, but kills ear mites as well.

You can order it without a prescription at www.deadfleaz.com Myself and many of my friends order from them on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back