Follow-up on Butter - mare w/dystocia this spring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what Dr. Taylor said. We've had dystocias over the years and the longer it takes to get the foal out the harder it becomes. It's almost like shrink wrap, so you lose that manipulation room.

The worst ended up in with a fetotomy and ultimately the mare being put down (not my choice the owners). But we've had fairly easy ones to major vet intervention types. One mare we sold as likely barren as it took her four years to carry a foal, but she's been fine and a successful broodmare since.

The last one we had ended up at UCD with the whole repro team. Lube, hoisting her back end up in the air, different ones trying, they couldn't manipulate the foal at all. We ended up c-sectioning her. It ended up being the foal's intestines were on the outside of the body causing the mess inside. To this day I remember that feeling when I went in and felt that "webbing", and knew I couldn't 'fix' it. Creepy.

Pamela-

I am so happy Butter is healed and healthy. She has been through quite an ordeal. She will be happy relaxing and being a pet!!! Enjoy her!!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Latest posts

Back