Folks, we have a colt!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
This little guy was born 2 weeks ago. He is so tiny! When he was delivered, all I saw was LEGS....and connected by this skinny little body! He has filled out quite a bit since birth.

He is a stinker, that's for sure. Colts are so much fun
default_wink.png

His dam is a cremello(or perlino,not sure)and sire is a chestnut.The color calculater said buckskin or palamino.What makes it confusing is the dam's dam is a silver buckskin,so the silver gene could be showing...can anyone help me with his color?!

(He is the one on the right)

DaisFily-Bailcolt.JPG

Don't mind my non-horsey husband playing with the other foal....lol.

colt4.JPG

In the first picture I would have said Palomino. In the second, I would say most likely Silver Buckskin. Dark tips on the ears look Buckskin to me. Aslo, the second shows a little more shading in the mane and tail.

I had one born that color last year,she turned out to be a silver buckskin,much more obvious by the time she was a yearling. her sire was cremello and dam registered as chestnut but probably a silver chestnut. Whatever the color very nice colt.

I had one born that color last year,she turned out to be a silver buckskin,much more obvious by the time she was a yearling. her sire was cremello and dam registered as chestnut but probably a silver chestnut. Whatever the color very nice colt.
Genetically impossible to get a Silver Buckskin from a Cremello and a Chestnut. Either the sire was a Perlino or the dam was a Silver Bay.

Silver could be hiding in either the cremello or the chestnut. Got a surprise myself this year, a lovely silver pinto filly out of what I thought was a chestnut pinto mare and sired by a blue roan!! The mares parents are visually chestnut pinto and black so that silver has been sneaking around for a while unnoticed!!

Songcatcher,I wasn't sure if your 2nd reply was pertaining to my foal or Make a Wish minis foal.
default_unsure.png

My foal is out of cremello X chestnut.

The dam(cremello)is out of silver buckskin X cremello.

The sire (chestnut) is out of black X bay.

I have never tested the dam,she could be perlino.

Does this help to determine what color this foal is?

(He also has a big dark patch on his rump top under the lighter hair.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I am pretty sure this foal is Silver Buckskin, which means, of course, the dam must be Perlino, not Cremello as, as Freeland pointed out earlier, a Cremello X Chestnut can only have a Palomino, irrespective of what the Cremello's sire and dam are!

So the Silver was hiding in either the Chestnut or the Perlino........

Pretty foal, it would be worth testing.

no help on color I am afraid but have to tell you those are two extreeeeeemy adorable foals!!

If the sire is from a black x bay, then the dam must be silver perlino, and you have yourself a very cute silver buckskin foal!!

Lots of people don't realize their double dilutes carry silver, as they are already so white it doesn't have much of an effect.

Thank you all for the compliments on my little guy, and a special thanks to Freeland,Jane,Genie,Alex for your color perspectives. I do think I understand it better now. It is very helpful to know that my cremello is actually a perlino(carrying silver)
default_biggrin.png

So the colt is definitely a "silver buckskin"
default_yes.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you
default_aktion033.gif

I just love the knowledge of the members of this forum !

One more baby to go, 325 days now. My first Kateland's baby
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back