Focus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 little boys and I’m always trying new things. I enjoy driving, hiking, walking, camping, snuggling, and now roller skating 🤣 with them… eventually I want to set up a jumping and obstacle course too. What do you do?

Do you let them pick their favorite activity and have them focus only on that so they get really good at it? Then you have a horse for specific things?

Or do you do everything with each pony? How do you find the time to do all the different things with each pony?

Do you only work with your favorite ponies? Whatever pony I am working with at the time is my favorite!! ♥️♥️

So, should I have each pony focus on one thing or should I continue on teaching everyone new things and exploring everything?? What do you do?

It depends on the horse. Each one of my four horses is different. What I do so far is I list things that I want to work on for each one, and things they are good at. They all have something that they are really good at, and some things that need to work on. Here is an example:

Jumper (stallion)is
- very muscular
- VERY intelligent
- BUT not a good endurance and cardio
- not very supple
- a chicken whenever he sees something new or strange

So I decided that with him, I would use:
- trot longing for cardio, endurance and suppleness (as a workout)
- and longing combined with a jump or cavaletti for his confidence

Thanks JFNM!!

I am not sure which direction I want to take Stormy. He is the bratty little brother, nothing bothers him so he bothers you 🤣 What would you do with him?

Stormy (gelding):
-Tendency to be VERY mouthy, took me almost a year to get him to stop nipping at me, if he doesn’t like something he will definitely nip though LOL
-VERY playful in the herd, the true instigator, if a horse doesn’t play with him he’ll go to the next horse until he finds someone to play with
- not really interested in driving
- On the thin side, I don’t want to do too much cardio with him, until he fills out some
- number 3 in ranking in my little herd of 4
- doesn’t really care if he pleases me or not
- kind of a ding bat, definitely blond 🤣
- bores easily
- ok at obstacles, not great… nothing really bothers him, just not enthusiastic
- follows me everywhere, very nosy, loves to be in my presence
- good at napping 🤪
- very chill
- if you use the whip on him, he really doesn’t care and just continues on
- ok at ground driving, rather be doing something else though…. But I just don’t know what….

Maybe my expectations are too high? I have never had such a playful horse who doesn’t care in pleasing me. I need to find his niche.

What would you do with Stormy?? I am OPEN for suggestions!!

Last edited:
Thanks JFNM!!

I am not sure which direction I want to take Stormy.

What would you do with Stormy?? I am OPEN for suggestions!!

I was going to say the same thing that Taz replied, so I think that may be the right path to go with him. :) Trick training is awesome for easily bored, easy going, chill (you name it) horses. 😆

Maybe a horse agility course would interest him more than regular obstacles... and why not teach him to follow your moves while you go through the course (since he likes to be nosy and follow you around) ? Just an idea, but he might start enjoying that too! Then, you could see if he can do the obstacle course as playfully... :)

Thanks JFNM!!

Those are all really great suggestions!! I love it!!! 🥰 I want to try all those things you suggested with him!! 🥳. I will start with the trick training and then see where that takes us, woohoo!! Thank you, thank you!!!

Thanks JFNM!!

Those are all really great suggestions!! I love it!!! 🥰 I want to try all those things you suggested with him!! 🥳. I will start with the trick training and then see where that takes us, woohoo!! Thank you, thank you!!!

You're very welcome, Kelly! 😊
Have lots of fun moments with your little Shadow!

Kelly, have you ever lined danced? I've seen videos of people line dancing with their horse. I don't know if it would be possible to do with multiples, but you could go on the road with that act if you did.🤣

Line dancing with horses?!! That sounds like fun!! I’ll have to look for some videos on youtube. Can you imagine all 4 of my little boys doing a line dance?! LOL 🤪

I started trick training this morning with Stormy and he LOVED it! Ok, maybe it was the treats that he loved, but I don’t care… his little eyes totally lit up. 😍😍♥️♥️ He was happy and very attentive. Finally something that is going to interest him, woohoo!!

Latest posts

Back