Foaming at the mouth?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloIsMyPony

Reaction score
Apollo has been foaming at the mouth a LOT when I come into his stall. It is usually when I come into his stall and he is lying down that sometime liquid drips out or its just a lot of foam. Once he gets moving, like when I longe him, its usually gone. But today when I was putting on the harness, his mouth was literally DRIPPING and there was so much foam. Is it something hes eating in the field? Should I contact the vet about this? Its a normal white color, there is just a lot of it. And sometimes it drips. Pleeeease help...

ApolloIsMyPony said:
Apollo has been foaming at the mouth a LOT when I come into his stall. It is usually when I come into his stall and he is lying down that sometime liquid drips out or its just a lot of foam. Once he gets moving, like when I longe him, its usually gone. But today when I was putting on the harness, his mouth was literally DRIPPING and there was so much foam. Is it something hes eating in the field? Should I contact the vet about this? Its a normal white color, there is just a lot of it. And sometimes it drips. Pleeeease help...
416374[/snapback]

It is possible that it could be clover that is causing it, if your pasture is lush in clover that is what I would assume. If not, it may be possible that he is eating something that is toxic to him, check his temp and if he is acting ok and has no temp than I would not worry to much, but, if he is in any way acting out of the ordinary, head down, ears back, running a fever, CALL VET ! just to be sure,
yes.gif

I was also thinking he ate something toxic...but all the other horses (three others) eat together and none of them have it. Just him. The last time I let him eat clover was yesterday but even before I let him eat it, he was foaming. When I longe him he seems to have energy...and he only had his head down and ears back when I had the bit in his mouth and was trying to figure out how the bridle worked. Other than that he seems like his normal, calm self. Its just the foaming...
wacko.gif

Probably clover. I have it growing in my paddocks but they don't eat it. When we mow most of it is buttercups and clover, not grass. He'll be ok. I'd mow unless you already have. He'll learn not to eat it.

It is a sign of clover, but don't want to alarm you, but it is also a symptom of "choke"

and I would not hesitate one more minute than to get a vet involved

From rereading the initial post I get the feeling this is an ongoing thing the last few days? If the horse were in dostress I would think this person would be frantic. She says it is only certain times and clears up...I still say clover, not choke. Choke usually has foam coming from the nose as well.

I would guess probably clover too. I have a big horse mare that has that effect to clover....none of my others have ever had this problem and have always been on the same pastures. I wouldn't rule it out if this particular horse is the only one salivating. from what i can tell not all horses have this reaction to it (either that or hte other ones are not eating it). I've also noticed that it can seem to build up so the salivation lasts for a while even if the horse hasn't been exposed to clover. These are just some observations i've made. If it's clover i wouldn't worry about it too much. If you feel it might be something toxic get the vet in ASAP.

Yea Deb you're right I jumped the gun on that paranoid me.

I have some horses that actually blow bubbles when they get into clover......if you find out it's that, be sure to keep them hydrated. It still wouldn't hurt to touch base with your vet though

Thanks guys
smile.gif
I'm going to the barn today and I'll see if he is still foaming.

Okay...so yesterday I brought him in from the field and put him in the crossties and he was fine. No foam or anything, just normal. Then I put on the saddle for the harness and the crupper and breeching or whatever and all of the sudden his mouth starts dripping...then he gets foamy and some of its green. The green is making me think that hes having a very late reaction to the clover, but it seems like stress makes him get foamy? Because when I put the stuff on he gets a little antsy and impatient because its new to him and its new to me so Im still adjusting stuff...hmmmm

Hes just working his bit. The green is from the grass and clover so it tints the spit green. its normal

Latest posts

Back