Foals born sorrel that turn palomino I would love to see photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey,

I would like to see photos of foals born sorrel that turn palomino.

I have a foal born sorrel pinto. her sire is palomino and dam is black pinto(smokey black pinto,because her sire is buckskin but not tested)

I sure she will stay sorrel pinto but wouldn't it be neat if she had the cream gene
default_smile.png

IMAG0568.jpg
She has lighten alot since birth photo at 5 days
IMAG0570.jpg

sorry to disappoint but I dont think your baby will be pally either

Congrats on your beautiful baby
default_smile.png
)

My 2010 colt Amir's Phoenix, was born very red, but it was clear he is palomino as soon as he dried off,, and testing has verified it.

IMAG0574.jpg

DSC_3126  2 days txt.jpg

I couldn't get the photos of Bliss before to load (on my phone), but here they are. I did wonder at first what color she'd pick!

Bliss-Newborn---03292010-034.jpg

Bliss-Newborn---03292010-051.jpg

Bliss---4-days-old----04022010-055.jpg

284618_10150236407513155_522573154_7380301_7021808_n.jpg
Bliss-06262011-3.jpg
Bliss-06262011-1.jpg

Clear Brooks CK Hanky Panky was born sorrel, but shedded out his foal coat to palomino. As a foal he even had a red mane and tail, Now they are snow white.

326928757.jpg
saleslistpage~~element252.jpg

I had one born sunset orange with pink skin. Couldnt figure out what color that was. Didnt really think Chestnut but didnt scream palomino either lol. Didnt know at the time that her mom was a sliver smokey black so was carrying cream. Sire was black and white. After a few days her skin darkened up and her coat just kept getting lighter. Ended up light palomino within a few weeks.

wow what pretty horses
default_smile.png

I am amazed how some sorrel did turn out to be real nice palomino
default_smile.png

I know the test is $25. I would love to test her for peace of mind even if she is sorrel pinto.I think everyone would be STOCK if she had the cream gene

Last edited by a moderator:
Clear Brooks CK Hanky Panky was born sorrel, but shedded out his foal coat to palomino. As a foal he even had a red mane and tail, Now they are snow white.

326928757.jpg
this is the color sorrel she looks like in person WOW NICE horse very handsome How long did it take for him to change color.Do you have photos showing color change in steps

The sire to my filly is palomino like your mare.

I was so sure this filly was sorrel I registered her as such!
default_doh.gif

The first pic was taken at about 10 mins old. The second one is at about one week. The third was taken as a 3 year old.

goldie08foalhead.jpg

scarletweb.jpg

scarletAMHACentralShow20112web.jpg

I think it's interesting how "red" the tail and especially the mane is for it eventually to turn so snow white. Color is a very cool and interesting thing to learn about.

A dark Palomino foal can look like a chestnut/sorrel until dry. They can even look like they have a red mane and tail, but if you look closely at the mane and tail, one can see the white underneath. I have had several born very dark that looked bay or sorrel at birth, but then when dry, turned out to be buckskin or palomino. Sorry to say that your boy looks like a sorrel pinto., though there is nothing wrong with the sorrels. They are the easiest to show, clip and hide dirt. Also, when saving, one can make their heads look batter than they really are.

i am not sure why people get so upset when their foals turn out to be sorrels rather than palomino. Some of the top farms have mostly sorrels. Like Establo, First Knight etc.

Jill.. Have you tested Bliss ? I ask because I wonder if she is Red Dun only ?

My mare Moose is red dun, tested Cream neg.. and looks Very similar. Just curious
default_smile.png

Moose DSC_8775.jpg

326928757.jpg
Hank got a hair dye job didn't he?.... hehehe AMAZING !! He's def a pally !!

Hi, Sandy --

Their colors do look similar. Bliss has a lot of dapples, and she is much lighter in winter. I think she's palomino, but I could test her. I'd have said your lady bug looks either palomino or silver bay from the picture. DunIT (sire) does carry cream dilute... and Bliss has a faint dorsal, so maybe! Her half brother, Trooper, is a red dun but he looks red dun vs. palomino. That peachy kind of color vs. golden and not quite a white mane and tail.

Thanks for the food for thought
default_yes.gif

Jill

thanks for information you all
default_smile.png

Don't take me the wrong way.I love sorrels to. I was just hoping for palomino or buckskin from these two
default_smile.png

I have a sorrel pinto mare who is great she is the granddam of the filly

Back