foaling tips, and thoughts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
hey everybody,

This is something I notice that I do when I have mares getting near foaling I always take off my rings. I am not sure why I do that, but I guess it was an instinct to start off with. If you should happen to have to go in for a foal, you will not loose your rings in the process, or tear the tissues of the mare in doing so. So, my foaling tip is take off your rings, and keep um off for a while. You all know mares do not read the books, LOL

SOmething else new I noticed was last night with my mares. I had 2 ready for foaling, v'd out for a while, big bags but when I drove up last night, I noticed on both mares, I could see ribs. I never really noticed that before. On further inspection, one was already waxed up. She foaled in a couple of hours, and in about 3 more hours the second foaled. SO, that might also be something to look for when approaching foaling. ( oh, we had to healthy fillies). The moms look normal again, so the rib thing was temporary. I have had foals since 1990, and never really noticed til now.

Happy Foaling everyone!!

Thanks for the tips...I have one that looks READY and one that is just starting signs.
default_wacko.png
I will be taking my wedding ring off ASAP! Interesting about the ribs...I will look for that as well as any other signs! Congratulations on your two new foals...are there pics posted somewhere?

I've not yet been home when a mare went into labor, but I was driving home quickly and had hubby at home ;) Each time while I drove home I took off my rings and stuck them in the cupholder of my car or my pocket. Because you're right, you don't want them on during foaling!
default_smile.png

Jessi

Along with removal my rings, I also cut my nails, and also remember to take your watch off if you need to use that arm to "go in". I leave mine on until a problem arises, then just slip it into my jeans pocket.

I've always taken off my rings
default_smile.png

I've been thinking (uh oh LOL) that I want one of those headbands with a flash light thing on it! (headlight) Would come in handy to see better during foaling
default_smile.png

REO we do keep one of those headband flashlights in our foaling kit.

We have half walls between the stalls that I slip off my watch and place it on this wall when I go into foal.

I have a wall clock placed where I can see the time if I am checking for how long everything is taking.

Usually too long. Time seems so slow when you are awaiting a birth
default_wacko.png

RIBS? On these mares??!!
default_laugh.png

The last time I saw ribs on any of the mares here was... well, maybe when they were babies...
default_wink.png

I have no rings - but as Mona said I always remember to trim my nails waaay short. Just in case I need to get in there and pull a shy one out...

Latest posts

Back