Foaling times for mares morning evening or night ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

when do your mares foal morning evening night

• morning hours 1 am til 6am

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • evening 12pm til 6pm

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • night 7pm til 12am

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • morning hours 7am til 11am

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey

I wanted to know what times your mares foal morning evening or night.Does you mare foal same time each year?

I have had my mares foal at 9 pm 11pm 2pm 3pm 6pm 8am 9:30am

i had a mare foal as maiden mare at 8am in morning no udder no nothing foal was 3 weeks early did great

the same mare foaled in 2010 early at 9pm at night then same mare foaled 2011 at 2 am something in morning. I have a maiden mare due april 4 i worry she might foal while i am at work
default_sad.png
. i was off all week this week no luck. she has small udder development. Do you all have many mares for from 8-5 hours daily the day. I know most mares foaled at night or early in morning.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of all my full size horse mares foals between 1am and 3am. I did have my mare foal this year at 4pm though. The couple mini mares that we had foal last year (both losses) were 4PM-7PM.

Most of mine have been born in the morning 7am til 10am but i have had a couple of late ones at about 7am til 12 midnight

Most of mine born past midnight, but some before and a few have arrived during daylight hours- but the majority late at night.

I voted "night", as the majority seem to wait until it gets dark out and things settle down, but we've had foals born at all hours of the day. Our mares aren't consistent in what times their foals are born either, just as they aren't consistent in how long their gestation is, though I know of other people whose mares are fairly consistent. Someone here has or had the tagline something like "the only predictable thing about mares is their unpredictability" and that sure is true.

Good luck with your mare and upcoming foal!

I've had foals born at all times of night and day. Probably nightime when it's dark is the most common, but a mare can foal at anytime if she is comfortable in her environment. I have quite a few born from about 8 pm - midnight. Also 4 - 6 am is popular. As well as 8 am to noon. A few late afternoon foals from around 4 - 5 pm. The least likely time for mares to foal on my farm is around 1 - 3:30 pm in the afternoon.

I couldn't even vote on this one, I have one mare that foals everytime, at 1:30 in the afternoon, another that foals consistantly at 10:30 in the morning. One that is all over the place, foaling just after dinner, in the middle of the night and at 4:30 in the morning. I will have to say most of mine foal between 10:30 at night and 4:30 in the morning otherwise.

Lexus had her first foal at 7:30am. Her second at 3:30pm. She a very conscientious girl ;)

I didn't vote. Mine are born all around the clock. I have many born in the day time! Around noon.

One year I had 5 due and 4 of those were day time babies!

Day and night here.

i am praying for evening after 6pm or later. Pray for mine to be late nighters
default_smile.png

Mine have been all over the place but plenty in the daytime. Last year all 4 of my colts were born in the daytime. And the year before all 5 fillies were daytime. Before that it was kind of even between day and night I think.

Susan O.

okay the folks that foals born in daytime are you all north where it is colder or down south with it is hotter?

Wish I could vote twice. I have one that has foaled around 3:30 a.m. twice since I have owned her. I have another that has foaled here three times and never let's me catch her foaling. Every time it was around noon or shortly before.

We average just a few foals each year, 3-5, but have been foaling miniature mares since 1993 so have quite a few records. Over 50% of our foals have been born 'in the dark', but many in the daytime. Our mares are very comfortable with us being around since most were purchased as very young foals or were born here. All were show horses so again used to being handled a lot. Most of them spend all year in the stall they foal in or if they foal in the daytime they are outside in paddocks they are very familiar with.

I do think mares that aren't as 'people conditioned' are more likely to want to foal in the dark and quiet.....that would be natural for them since they are prey animals. They want to hide.

One little maiden mare had a bit of unusual foaling circumstance. She was in the paddock behind the house where we could watch her all the time. One afternoon I noticed she had gone missing. Frank went to check and found she had pushed open the gate across the barn door and gone to her stall...she was down pushing. This was before we had an intercom between the barn and house. Frank ran back to the house to notify me then ran back to the barn with me right behind him. We found Bobbi in the barn foyer trying to follow him (yes, he forgot to close the stall door). She foaled standing up in the foyer. there was no time to walk her back to her stall before the baby was out.

Latest posts

Back