Foaling Stall Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
I have been watching Marestare and everyone spreads out hay after the foal is born. What kind is used? I'm going to be using the hay pellets to start with, but once the foal is born what should I put in there to keep the foal from falling too hard?

I either use straw or just clean grass hay. If you use hay, try not to use any with alfalfa in it as the flakes can irritate the foals eyes. The reasons why most people use hay/straw when the foal is born and for a little while afterward is because it decreases the risk of the foal inhaling bedding (like shavings) and suffocating, it helps keep the foal warm, and of course can soften a fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I either use straw or just clean grass hay. If you use hay, try not to use any with alfalfa in it as the flakes can irritate the foals eyes. The reasons why most people use hay/straw when the foal is born and for a little while afterward is because it decreases the risk of the foal inhaling bedding (like shavings) and suffocating, it helps keep the foal warm, and of course can soften a fall.

Thank you so much! That is what I was thinking ,but wasn't too sure.

I hate using straw so we also line the stall with hay but we put a layer of shavings underneath. We only use that for about 24 to 48 hours and go back to shavings.

Pre-foaling I think shavings covered by straw is the best combination of good footing, dry, warm bedding.

I think the foal only needs straw for the first couple of days and I think shavings can be used alone after that.

Dr Taylor

I agree with Dr Taylor, I use my normal shavings bedding with straw on top. I start putting straw down a day or 2 before foaling as it is safer to foal on rather than shavings that will stick to everything and might be drawn in the vagina whilst the mare is foaling. They could also stick to baby's umbilical cord causing infection.

Thank you all for your answers.
default_saludando.gif
. Sounds like shaving is good for the base and then Hay/Grass to go on top for a couple of days at least. Don't want anyone slipping or landing too hard.
default_yes.gif

Barley straw is the nicest straw if you can find it.

We use straw on top of shavings and usually use straw in the stalls with Mum and baby until baby is weaned.

Shavings on the bottom with hay on top. And I use the hay for several weeks. When foals are lying down sleeping their head gets down into the bedding. Small, dusty shavings particles can be inhaled causing respiratory problems and can also get into the eyes and possibly cause a corneal ulcer. Better safe than sorry I say. Of course, my foals are quite small. Around 10-12 pounds at birth...some smaller. If your foals are larger it may not be so much of a problem? I don't know about that. Always used deep hay bedding for my big horse mares/foals too.

Also, the colder the temps, the deeper the shavings and hay. Because baby sleeps so much he needs lots of insulation from cold ground.

Happy Foaling!

Charlotte

I agree with Dr Taylor, I use my normal shavings bedding with straw on top. I start putting straw down a day or 2 before foaling as it is safer to foal on rather than shavings that will stick to everything and might be drawn in the vagina whilst the mare is foaling. They could also stick to baby's umbilical cord causing infection.

Sounds like I better start looking for some straw. And keep a real close watch on April because I'm not sure when she is due
default_sad.png
. She was bred when I got her and I don't have a definate due date. I'm thinking in 4 to 6 weeks now. Of course I've learned all the signs to watch for from here.

I am so glad I was told about this sight
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
. Thank you Joy! Thought I knew about horses
default_no.gif
. I hadn't even scratched the surface. Everyone here has been so helpful with all my silly questions. Thank you a million times. I am learning something new every day.

No question is a silly question and we all learn something new each day, well I do for sure
biggrin.gif

We use hay, bedded deep. The mares LOVE it, eat till they're full. We save the softest cleanest bales we have for the foaling box. I don't worry about them filling up on straw that way, either.

We have either used grass hay, it's SO much softer than straw and I dont care if they eat it... or we use a layer of shavings on the bottom and then grass hay on top of that.

We use straw with no shavings underneath. Much easier to clean and the shavings just end up coming to the surface anyway which can still cause problems. We also use a product under the straw called sweet-pezz which helps soak up the urine smell which is bad for babies lungs.

Good Luck!

Jenny

I switched to paper bedding last year. Just love it. (though one has to make sure their horses have plenty of outside time so that they do not eat it.

For foaling, it is the best. Absorbent, and no dust.

Latest posts

Back