Foaling Season Reminder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimama

Reaction score
I just wanted to remind ourselves and our new people to the board especially. Foaling season is about to begin here on the forum and it usually does not start off happy. This is the time of year when our mares have a month or two or three to go and we tend to get those late term abortions. It looks bad and like every is loosing foals on some days. This is not true, it is just the time of year we are in. Later on, around oh say April, then it is live birth after live birth and you rarely hear about losing one at all.

We all mourn our losses and then we get the awesome chance to celebrate together too a little later on.

This is just kind of a heads up to be prepared.

Bless all of our broodmares out there and may everyone have a wonderful foaling season this year! Live, healthy, happy little foals running everywhere!

Best wishes!

Stacy

We are coming up on the time in the forum that usually causes me to chicken out of my horse breeding plans. It won't this year -- I can't let it! But it is usually a very emotional time and some threads I just can't let myself open.

That was a really good heads up, Stacy. Thanks for sharing that! I can't wait for that fun month of April and all the baby pics. What a fun way to start off your spring.

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks for the post Stacy. Foaling season can be a very sad time, but it can also be one of the happiest times.[/SIZE]

Both my mares are in foal this year after being open in 2006. 2005 was a sad year for me in that I had an awful dsytocia with Gypsy and lost her filly and Dawn was born with a fractured femur - the happy side of that is that we were able to save Dawn with surgery and lots of love and TLC, not to mention the prayers of so many of you right here on the Forum.

I wish everyone healty foals this year.

Barbie

thanks for this post, i was thinking that there were a lot of losses... now i see why! i am thrilled that i was able to post a live foal born 12/24 and hope the other two (due march and april) are as easy! here's wishing you all a healthy and happy foaling season!!!

Good luck to everyone expecting foals... hope that everyone has successful deliveries, no dystocias and healthy moms and foals!

I am expecting two to be delivered in an unusual way... they are yearling Morgan fillies to be delivered to my farm! I took the advice of a TB breeder I know - it is easier to get them on the ground than to breed them but I will miss feeling babies kicking in their mom's bellies, doing milk tests and helping newborns get established with nursing and passing meconium....

My friend is also expecting a Connemara baby in April so I will be able to get a newborn fix...and our herd here will be happy to welcome the new yearlings in - Freedom, who has never had a foal of her own, is the auntie who tells everyone what to do and how to behave, no matter what size they are. Indy, who had two foals and lost her third, is happy to snuggle and mother newcomers - she is currently the nice auntie to the weaned Shetland, Nefertiti. Freedom is the nasty auntie.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Mercy, who had five live foals and one stillborn, is happy that the rest of the herd is managing things for her and that she can devote time to eat.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back