Foaling midwife need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluver

Reaction score
I am thinking of expanding my foaling barn to make room for more mares. Is there a need in central OK for a place to have your mares foaled out for you? I already foal 10-12 mares a year for myself and a friend. If I build it, will they come? Due to health reasons I may need to stop my teaching job. I also don't think I will probably ever get to show again. I love foaling out mares and could do that if there is a real need for it. I have camera systems and alarms. I also have references, if needed. Please reply if you think there is a need for this. I just don't want to go to the expense of expanding then no mares come!!! I have foaled for about 5-6 years.

Donna?, I think there is indeed a need for foaling service. For those that can't be in attendance with their mares 24/7, it's critical! I think if you advertise, they will come.
default_smile.png

Oh, they'll come, and complain about the price lol. There is NO money in it whatsoever. Board barely breaks even, and the typical charge for foaling is only $250. More than that and clients scream. Guess how far $250 goes as far as all the care that goes into it, all the time, and all the post-foaling care (placenta exam, medications, enema, etc etc etc). Soooooo not worth it. The only way I'd do it is if they are breeding back to a stallion that I stand, or along those lines. There needs to be some incentive as far as money for me, and the foaling alone doesn't even come close to cutting it.

Well I couldn't have said it better than both of the previous post. I think they have stated both the positve and the negative of this proposed business. If this is something you feel in your heart you want to provide I would suggest starting small scale, don't build a new barn just yet but use the exsisting facility(if this is possible). See how it works, build a clientel and go from there. I also beleive if you decide on this that advertising your services is a key element to sucess. With todays economy in the state it is many people are pinching their pennies but for a valuable service that is proven I do beleive you should be able to make an honest go of it, but then again what do I know. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Interesting topic. I've been on both ends as I've foaled out a handful of mares for others (about 5 or so I'd say) and I've also sent a mare away so someone else could do it for me.

I can certainly see the plus side for the mare owner. If they can't be there 24/7 (which it what it really requires) then sending the mare out is a great idea. But before I'm going to send my mare somewhere I've got to KNOW how she will be cared for. References won't really help me too much in that I still can't see it for myself. I would want the farm to have online cams that I, and my friends, could watch and be able to see how the person handles the foaling process. And I would watch those cams before sending a mare of my own there. The barn has got to be in very good condition and very safe. Same for the turnouts. And the contract would need to state everything. What happens if the foal dies, what happens if nobody is there when the times comes, what kind of meds will be administered, what is the vet like (biggie for me!) and how close is the vet, what if two mares are foaling at once, etc. And then, at least in my case, if the mare is insured, the insurance company may want to have a say in where the horse is sent.

From doing it myself...it's a TON of work. It's stressful. It's heartbreaking when something goes wrong. You WILL lose friends, no matter how hard everyone tries to not let that happen. And it's not worth the money, imo. I believe (can't remember for sure) I charged somewhere between $250 and $300 plus monthly mare care.

Just be careful and go into it with your eyes wide open. And you must have help. One person can't be awake 24/7 for days, or weeks, on end.

I think if you had one, you'd spark some interest especially if you were really good. There is a lady here Tennessee that foals out big horses. She has a wonderful reputation and makes a ton of money. She has all kinds of experience and all kinds of important items on hand just like a vet would. Plus she is close to a hospital also. Huge responsibility and I wouldn't want it for anything but you might.

Perhaps you can try it on a very small scale at first taking in just maybe two mares to start with and see how it goes.

That's just like the place I learned at, Marty. Down in Ocala I worked at a QH farm that foaled about 70 foals a year, at $250 each. People shipped across the country to foal with us, because of the spectacular foal training they got. Every foal went home as gentle as could be, leading, respectful, etc. But it was TONS of work.... six people (two employees, two interns, and the couple who owned it) worked 80 hours a week, and they didn't make a penny off the foaling. Lost money on it. They earned their income from the rebreeding afterwards, to their stallions, and to other ship-in semen stallions.

I foal out about 30-35 a year, and i have foaled out for clients that bought bred mares from me. I would never do it as a way to make money. Too many things can (and do) go wrong. I have been ask by several breeders around here to do it, and i refuse. I will help watch the cams for them while they are at work and will go to their farm and assist if ask to. I just dont want their mares on my property, too much liability for no profit. I

If you want to do it because you like doing it, is one thing, just be prepared for some "heat" from the mare owners when things go wrong. It will not be your fault, but humans tend to want to place blame, even when things were not meant to be. Prepare.

Latest posts

Back