Foaling Help-UPDATED 11/8

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked her milk tonight and her ph tested a strong 7.5. Her total hardness is at 0. Is that normal or does her TH have to jump to 3-400 for her to foal or is it just her pH? She doesnt seem to show any different signs then the other day. her bag is harder to milk and I am only getting 1/4 cc out of her as I milk her so i am not taking to much I dont believe, Yesterday her vulva seem more swollen, like towards her butt cheaks. Opinions?

It has to be like skim milk before she is ready to foal and sweet too. Good that it isnt salty anymore but it also needs to not be so sticky too. She is getting closer.
default_smile.png
Marsha
This is not always true. Sticky is a sign of colostrum coming in - and a mare can show that yellow, sticky fluid and then foal within an hour - or not foal for a couple of weeks. As Jane has pointed out, not every mare cares about what the books tell you. We have had experienced mares not have any milk come in until the foal was already born - and then the next year they looked like milk cows with huge udders a couple of weeks in advance.

i checked her tonight and her milk is getting white, not sticky and a small smidge of yellow but mostly white... hmmm!! Still testing 7.5 and 0 for her Th

she still looks the same as she did last. still testing 7.5 but her milk is like skim now. and i cant get much of any to test her? I wasnt ever milking more then 1/4 to 1/2cc

If you are having problems getting milk, try making a loose fist and "buming" your hand against her udder - it simulates what a foal would do to get her milk to drop and you should get a little bit more to test with.

Have you tried to Foal Time Strips? You only need one drop of milk, no mixing, no measuring - just instant results and I believe you can get them overnighted to you?

i havent tried those. ill have to look into them. I do bump around on her bag as a foal would but that only seeems to help a little. I am at my wits end with this pregnancy! lol

I love the foal time strips, so much easier to do too. One or two drops onto the paper is much easier to get a sample. I just tried to get their website up and its not working anymore. Maybe they went out of business or ??

Marsha

Get in the car and drive away leaving no-one at the place- she will foal within ten minutes.......guaranteed.

there is no one there this weekend. The owners are on a mini vacation and one boarder is super close to the barn, about 3 min. Then i am about 15. so were checking on her a lot this weekned! LOL hopefully she will foal. its nice here this weekend. in the 60s then i think its dropping to the 40s and 50s again.

...owners of the property.

Don't make me come over there...
default_xreiter.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_1857272.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_xreiter.gif
coz we had all this a few years back and I threatened to hop on a plane and scare the bejabers out of the mare......I seem to remember it worked!

buahahaha Jane thats funny. Her stool was kinda loose last night and some this AM. She doesnt seem to be to interested in grass today so maybe were getting some where...maybe...

Latest posts

Back