foal with entropion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.equineeyevet.com/Entropion.html

My daughter had a foal born with entropion and took her to the vet. I don't remember, but I think they went the suture route to avoid the possibility of ulcerating the eye. It depends on the severity and a vet should make the diagnosis and course of action.

We had one--I just rolled the eyelid out a couple of different times and then it was fine. When I rolled the lid out I also dried the lashes off with a soft cloth--with the lashes wet they just wanted to roll back against the eye again. Dry they were more inclined to stay away from the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Entropion has an hereditary component, so pay attention to future breedings.

I have very good success with rolling out the lid and pinching it to create a swelling that will keep it out. Once is usually enough, but it's cheap and easy so if I do it 2 or 3 days in a row no big deal.

Dr Taylor

So glad you two posted! The vets had the beejesus scared out of me. I used to have Shar Pei's and had to have the eyelid stitching so I believed that was always the case with horses too.

I had a QH foal born with entropion several years ago, and I had to have the vet stitch her eyelid to correct it. One little stitch is all it took. Until this foal, I'd never even heard of it....

Back