Foal rubbing furr off ? Why? Help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey everyone

My foal who is almost 4 weeks is rubbing her furr off around her shoulders,butt and ears.It looks bad.I want to know what it could be and what to do for a young foal?She isn't halter broke yet.She has only had a halter on a few times. She is in pasture with another mare and foal.I haven't shaved her yet because she don't have much fur plus she is so young.It has rain here,so I am confused
default_sad.png
.I want my baby fix as soon as possible.HELP The other foal in pasture is 3 mos old, but she is already shaved.

photo below

IMAG0800 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be hyper-sensitive to something that is making her itchy. Hard to tell, but the marks on the shoulder look like she's rubbing the skin raw. Might want to talk to the vet and see first of all that there definitely aren't any lice, that it is not ringworm, and then maybe get something that acts like an antihistimine to stop the itching. I had a mare years ago that if she got too warm would rub her neck totally raw. Gave her some tiny pill once a day and she totally stopped itching.

Should I try to get her shave? I was wondering if she is hot as well. The last few days have been 100 degree that is when I starting seeing it.It will be a hard to shave her LOL,because she is full of herself.

I would have her checked out by a vet before I tried anything else. Could be some kind of fungus....or just a hypersensitivity....or even an allergy to some food.

Fungus could be any number of things...ringworm is a fungus and is HIGHLY contagious. Rainrot from too much moisture/rain but that usually is along the spine and withers, not in the front of the shoulder. If you have had high humidity with high temps, should could even be responding to sweat.

It started three days ago when we got into the 100 degree
default_sad.png
.I think I need to shave her.She does have much furr

Thanks everyone.I pray she is back to normal soon.I checking with vet tomorrow after my dr appt.

My filly did that a week after she was born. Temps had increased and I had shaved her upper neck & head but not the shoulder area she was sweaty and started rubbing her shoulder on a tree. i clipped her down after i had bathed her and it stopped

If this were my horse I would bathe her in some medicated shampoo and get her clipped. And then repeat the medicated shampoo, keep her dry and cool and out of the heat. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back