Foal Navel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
Been thinking recently that there are a few opinions on what is best to use on a foal navel so thought I would start a topic to educate myself on what others use and feel is the best product to use for dipping a foals navel and how often do you do it and for how long? We have used both Nolvasan and Iodine.

Thanks~

We were told Iodine solution back in the '90's - I think it was an 8% solution but don't quote me on that. I switched to Nolvason in 2001 (I think) and we've used that in a 10% solution all the way up to straight from the bottle. We've (knock on wood) never had any joint ill/infection, etc., using either. We don't keep the 10% solution prepared to far in advance though as the diluted solution does degrade in quality (so I've been told) over time.

I've had only four of my own foals to do so far, but have also done it for a nearby friend when she's been away. I use betadine and do it 2-3x a day for 2-3 days. I had been told Nolvason may not help dry out the stump the way betadine does (and you want it to dry out), but I also know many people use Nolvason sucessfully.

We also use Nolvason as recommended by our vet. Iodine can be very dangerous if you accidentally spill it and it gets in the mouth or eyes. We also dip the hooves in it.

Veterinary Corner 9/99: Caring for the Umbilicus

by Frosty Franklin, DVM

Edgecliff Equine Hospital

S. 1322 Park Road, Spokane, WA 99212 * 509/924-6069

The umbilicus (belly button) of the foal requires special care. This structure is susceptible to infection, herniation, and other conditions. Many of these conditions can be prevented or treated.

The umbilical stump is exposed to the environment, and can easily become infected. The infection can spread through the blood vessels to the liver, and even into the general circulation, causing fever, illness or death. Prevention involves keeping the foal in as clean an environment as possible, and bedding the foal on straw, not shavings, for the first week of life. In addition, the umbilicus should be dipped twice daily in a 0.5% chlorhexadine (brand names are Nolvasan or Virosan - your veterinarian can obtain this solution for you) solution. Do not use iodine solutions of any kind. Tincture of iodine is damaging to tissues, and can even increase the incidence of infection. Betadine is not a strong enough antiseptic for this area.

I knew there was a thread about exactly this recently, and found it here:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=91342

default_yes.gif

I use Novalsan, or chlorhexadine is the generic name, but I mix the concentrate to about a 5:1 (maybe a bit more diluted) ratio. Stonger than the bottle states, but I have never had a problem. I put it in a spray bottle, stand behind the foal and place one arm under the neck and a round the chest, then spray with the free hand. I always to a touch test to make sure I saturated the stump.

I used iodine in the proper dilution in the past, but it was too harsh and my babies developed little "rash bumps" on their bellies that would scab over.
default_no.gif

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Nolvasan, full strength, and dip at least twice (for several seconds at a time). The umbilicals on my foals dry up really nicely, and the Nolvasan isn't as caustic to them as the iodine I used to use.

Our vet sold us a spray bottle this year for our foals:

Gentle Iodine Spray ( povidone-iodine topical solution, usp)

Polyvinylpyrrolidone-iodine ....10%

(provides 1% titratable iodine)

Isopropyl myristate......... 1.0%

isopropyl alcohol (anhydrous) .....65%

Information:

an aid in the treatment and control of bacterial infections of superficial woulds, cut and abrasions, [SIZE=12pt]naval stumps[/SIZE], docking and castration wounds and for disinfection of skin areas before injections, castration and docking.

A quick drying formula that does not stain skin permanently.

Do our babies twice a day for 3 days.

Thanks for all the replies. I have never heard of spraying or doing anything to the hooves...can anyone please explain the reason for this? We have never done this.
default_wacko.png

I did the hooves in Nalvason for extra insurance. Some studies have suggested they can pick up bacteria from newborn soft hooves. I figure it cant hurt and can only help
default_smile.png

I use 1% iodine spray. My vet has advised treating the navel 3 times a day for approximately 3 days. Once at birth is not enough! The stump should be treated as though it is an open wound. It is a pathway for infection so keeping the area clean, dry and treated is the best course of action to take.

Back