Foal Gut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyn

I was not suggesting that the preparation was any different I was suggesting that it was not cool to say that that lil boy at 5 months old could never be a halter horse.Which was said by the previous poster. And I didnt want her to give up on him because someone suggested he could never be a halter horse on any level. He certainly could be competitive with the needed nutrition and conditioning. I do get miffed when posters are told their horse could never win as many National Champions did not look the same at 5 months old. Granted a good horse is a good horse no matter what level but I still do not think we should be discouraging someone from trying to show if that is what they want. My response was not directed at the nutrition advocates but rather at those who would out and out say a horse was not halter worthy when that was not the question asked.

[SIZE=14pt]Nanny, I agree with you 100%. I would never venture to tell her that he isnt halter quality at all. I dont believe that to be true because I saw him as a little baby , at least pics of him. He does have lots of potential in my book. Thats why I said to her that the baby she bought was under there somewhere.[/SIZE]

added. I do think you can pick a show baby in the first few weeks. Thats when I look at them seriously and then I dont look at them for several months seriously again because they change .After that though they seem to morph back into the show babies you saw if they were something to start with. Then somewhere around 2 they sometimes fall apart agian till their bodies work it out. Basic attitude and conformation are always there and if its good it will be back. If it wasnt there to start with you may be out of luck. This one had it to start with.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I thought and the point I was trying to make. I also totally agree that good nutrition and exercise are essential. As I said I dont know alot about showing but do not want someone who wants to show to be discouraged by someone posting that their baby is not worthy and I also thought this baby was worthy when I saw the first pics. There are so many levels of showing that can be enjoyed and not everyone can have a Nationals champion but if they want to try the message in my opinion should be GO FOR IT.

Thank you, Lyn and Nanny,

I was very upset last night that I shut down my computer and felt hopeless after what someone said on this board. I really do believe he is still in there, just going through a gawky time. I am very picky with what horses I select, and I just got hit in the gut when someone on here said that my horse will always be stocky (WHICH he isn't, he has a really nice head and legs.) I mean, come on, just give me an ounce of hope.

Jess you will get a lot of conflicting opinions, I am afraid. I firmly believe in allowing babies to be that. I do not (As a rule!!) clip foals, show foals or really do anything with foals beyond manners , halter training and hoof care. My weaned foals are in the field, all the time. These are fillies I shall show next year. I do know there Is NO way I would put a weaned foal on grass ten hours and then leave it all night with no hay- sweetie you are asking for colic and I would hate to have your next thread come on entitled "HELP" as so many are. He needs a constant diet. Little and often. As mentioned the grass has little in it at the moment so that is not causing the gut. The feed he is getting is NOT causing the gut (mine are on far, FAR more than that) So....... have a worm count done and go from there. If he came to you with a worm burden the regime you have used will in NO way have affected the worms!!

My post wasnt ment to upset you or what not. I just posted what I see. And yes, by looking at his rump, shoulders and other angles of him he does look to be stocky. But it also could just be the pics of him as well.

Perfectly said LYN! I have always looked hard at the littles and then figure by 3 you'll see..WOW!

"Nanny, I agree with you 100%. I would never venture to tell her that he isnt halter quality at all. I dont believe that to be true because I saw him as a little baby , at least pics of him. He does have lots of potential in my book. Thats why I said to her that the baby she bought was under there somewhere.

added. I do think you can pick a show baby in the first few weeks. Thats when I look at them seriously and then I dont look at them for several months seriously again because they change .After that though they seem to morph back into the show babies you saw if they were something to start with. Then somewhere around 2 they sometimes fall apart agian till their bodies work it out. Basic attitude and conformation are always there and if its good it will be back. If it wasnt there to start with you may be out of luck. This one had it to start with.

Lyn"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back