Foal Diarrhea to

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Texas

Reaction score
Hi gang

Okay, we have the two babies with Diarrhea. I went out tonight and bought the Immodium AD, I could not find it in Childrens Immodium. My question is

with it being the regular Immodium how much to still give?? I gave have the

dosage tonight, with not knowing. I gave her 5 cc. The colt is better tonight so

will look at him at in the AM and decide on him. The filly is a month old, she is

all of 15 inches, she is the baby in my Avatar. She is really tiny. So how much

do I give?

Next problem with her and Dam.. is the Dam's bags are hard and giving very little milk. I have been doing the warm water rub downs, and giving banamine.

Does she have this Mastitis (sp)? What do I do with her, to get bags soft and giving milk. We really need the milk. In the mean time of trying to get milk, I am

giving her bottles of milk -- foal lac. She is not really thrilled with this. But we get it down. Tonight I gave her a bottle, then put a bucket out with milk in it. She has

played in it. So hoping she will learn to drink from it. I will make sure it stays fresh. Is the mare drying up? Help please. Its to early to wean her. I will do bottles if needed, if so how often to do this? HELP HELP.. Please

I know Janis posted to for help. And I to need help to. I posted on her's as well.

Any suggestions.

Vicky

You need a Vet ASAP. Added to that, if you bottle feed the foal the milk will dry up- you need to milk the mare off, strip the bag out as much as possible and the foal will start nursing again. As long as it's belly is full it will have no reason to try to nurse. Get the bag stripped- if you cannot do it yourself you need to find someone who has milked cows or goats to do it for you. The compresses will not do this, although they will help ease the mare- she is producing milk that is "backing up" in the bag, if she did not have mastitis she will have soon.

Talk to your Vet about ulcers medication too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with rabbitsfizz. If the foal has diarrhea and isn't nursing, you have a medical emergency and need a vet ASAP! Don't wait as you could lose your foal. A hard, tight bag is an indication the foal isn't nursing. Please keep us posted.

Oh Yes! Call the vet immediately..................

Good luck and let us know how this is going.

Beth

Yes, you need a vet asap. A hard bag usually means the foal isn't nursing enough to empty it. If you continue to have a problem with foal diarrhea ask your vet about BioSponge - they have several products specifically for foal diarrhea, but this is the best I've found.

Jan

I emailed about my friends foal with diarhea. She just got it under control. Had to have the vet out twice because the month old filly colicked twice. Come to find out it sand colicked from eating pounds of dirt and mud.

It took over a month to get the stools back to normal. Just in the last few days.

The immodium worked great, much better than pepto. Also start the foals on probios to replace the gut. I swear by these.

Good Luck

Traci

Latest posts

Back