Foal Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valshingle

Reaction score
557900_579368695425718_368335493_n.jpg

This colt, born the night before, has me wondering about his color. His dam is homozygous tobiano chestnut with silver and grey modifiers. She tested negative for sabino, overo, and cream. The sire is a buckskin roan, that I suspect might have the brown modifier.

I will be sending hair off to Animal Genetics for testing, but I'm stumped by the pink skin around his eyes. It's not white/grey hairs, but pink skin you can see around his eyes. The color shown is pretty accurate, he's more tan than red. The color is not intense.

So, what are your guesses? Silver? Grey? Roan?

I'd say palomino. Palominos will be born with pink skin around the eyes, etc, and then it darkens. Red dam, sire surely contributed cream.
default_smile.png

I wondered about palomino, but currently part of his mane and tail are the body color. Will that lighten?

Looks a bit dark at the moment, but with a buckskin sire, he could be palomino.

Do you have any pics of the colt with more lighting?

He sure is cute. Congrats!

A bit more golden looking to me, but here's a pic of my palomino half-Arab gelding as a baby. MAne and tail are still self colored rather than white. But, an outside pic.

cheddar baby.jpg

And, my silver bay dun mini filly as a baby; we thought she was palomino (later color tested as silver bay: EE,Aa, no cream).

tana - pic for color.jpg

I wondered about palomino, but currently part of his mane and tail are the body color. Will that lighten?
If he is indeed palomino, then yes, the mane and tail will lighten over time.
default_smile.png
I've had more than one palomino foal at birth that looked chestnut, but for the pink skin, and all lightened in both coat and mane and tail. Time will tell! (or a color test!) ;)

All red based foals I've ever had of any breed were born with pink skin around their eyes that darkened by the time they were a week old.

Looking forward to hearing your test results.

I would guess palomino as well-of course there could be silver, grey, and roan modifiers too.

Even though the dam tested negatove for SB1, with that chin spot and the markings of the colt, it looks like she definitely has sabino of another sort.

I almost forgot-

Congrats on your beautiful new colt!

*came back to edit my "oopsies"! had filly on the brain, but he is a handsome colt
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had chestnut foals with pink skin around the eyes and it darkened later and they remained chestnut.

Is that white hair next to the eye in that photo?

Nice foal!

I have had Chestnut foals with completely pink skin- BRIGHT pink, all over. Did not fade that quickly, either so, although he could be Palomino he does not have to be, just because he has pink skin!

No color guess here but I sure would say he is darn cute! Keep us posted on the outcome of his color testing. I find this color genetics so interesting.

I've seen quite a few palomino foals born that were a light chestnut or dun. They changed as they aged. As far as the skin? I don't know. I don't remember that part. He's too dark to be cremello in my opinion, so the skin confuses me too. I think the others are right that the skin may change. I don't know what color he would be, so it will be great to see what the test says!

Just thought I'd share this one to show the color at birth, how dark it was, and how dark the mane was, and then how it lightened with age. Also notice the light pigment at birth and how it also darkened.

palomino.jpg

I don't have any recent photos because I've been working and the weather is not so great when I get home. However, the skin is getting darker - it's no longer a light pink. His coat is lighter than your colts, Mona, it definitely is more like a gold. I sent the hair out to be tested. His mane still looks the same as the base color.

I'll try to get some new photos as soon as I can. I'll for sure let you know when the results come in.

Here is my Palomino... Actually a Gold Champagne at birth and as a 2 year old. Never forget those "Wierd" colors that are hiding. His sire was a bay, his mother was listed as Brown. Now we are guessing she must have been champagne too...

Pistolbaby.jpg

pistol show.jpg

Latest posts

Back