Foal Color Change

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
This is KB Fairy Tale aka Gracie. She was born May 11th and is already changing color.

She has very dark, almost black hairs (very soft and cute by the way) coming up over her sorrel. What colors could go to? Her sire was a bay pinto.

Gracie 3 days old

RSCN0828.jpg

This was Gracie today after playing in the poop pile that I was racking up into the garbage pile
rolleyes.gif
. She looks so scruffy!

DSCN1062.jpg

Gracie with Momma

DSCN1006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sorrel filly is doing that and she was born May 10th too!! I hope she stays the dark livery colour she is going as I don't much care for bright Sorrels, but somehow I doubt it! It is the combination of skin colour and contrast that makes them look so dark- and the sort of "fluff " underneath is not the true coat colour, unfortunately.

My Missy Moo is exactly the same. Pretty copper sorrel/chestnut and shedding out to he daddy's liver chestnut. I love that color. She is just a lovely little girl.

Don't you just love how they shed on their faces like that?

Gracie's dam looks like she could be a silver bay pinto, so maybe Gracie will be too? At this point anyway it looks like she will look very much like her dam.
smile.gif

I'll bet that if you clip her she will be quite a bit darker! See the dark skin around her eyes and face? And the darker color where the hair has worn off on her legs? Don't think she will be bay, but certainly a dark chestnut, just my opinion!!!!

She really has a beautiful head and eye............and Mom is quite a looker, too. Congratulations on such an outstanding pair!

I thought I'd share some pictures of the color changes my yearling stallion has gone through. I bought him in January 2005.

dakotacollage.jpg

top picture taken shortly after birth, looking pretty sorrel

second picture taken mid-summer for sale page - clipped - base of mane looking darker (registered as red dun)

third picture taken in January 2005 a week or two before he came home to live with me.

dakota-july1-pout.jpg

this picture taken July 1, 2005 (sun-faded bay - genetic testing shows he's bay)

Both his parents are buckskins.

chandab,

Wow he's a box of chocolates! Don't know what you’re going to get! Very pretty boy though.

Grace is all black where she is shedding and under her white she has pink skin. So who knows. Cindy's (momma) last baby 2 years ago, Rudy didn't start shedding out until he was about 4 months old. He looked like his mom, but is now a palomino pinto like his dad. Colors just confuse me too much!
wacko.gif

Foals almost always shed out to a darker color than their foal coat. Looking at the dark tips on the ears, and the colored part of the mane/forelock turning light, leads me to think she just may be a Silver Bay....coloring probably inherited from her Mom.
yes.gif

I am not at all sure on the color thing but I just had to say what a beautiful baby she is!

Dee said:
chandab,Wow he's a box of chocolates! Don't know what you’re going to get! Very pretty boy though.

418706[/snapback]

Well, isn't that the truth. I was kind of hoping he was buckskin, but I'd love him if he was purple with green polka dots.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back