FOAL BORN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
HAD A FOAL BORN THIS MORNING AND EVERYTHING FINE WHEN WE FOUND HER, BUT THERE WAS ON SIGN OF THE SACK OR ANY AFTERBIRTH. NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE. WE CAN USUALLY AT LEAST SEE SIGNS OF WHERE A MARE HAS HAD THE FOAL. SHE WAS IN A FAIRLY SMALL PASTURE, BUT FOUND NOTHING. DOES THIS MEAN SHE HASN'T PASSED EVERYTHING. IS THER ANYWAY TO TELL EXCEPT TO TAKE HER TO THE VET. ALSO, HE IS CLOSED TODAY SO HOW LONG CAN WE WAIT?

It has happend to us. We made sure she did not retain the after birth. We have actually seen mares eat the after birth. We have stopped them but they do eat it. So we are guessing that is what happened. Make she she is not running a fever in the mean time. Keep us posted.

It is common for mares to eat the afterbirth. I had one of my mares do that, which solved the mystery of my not finding anything from her or her sister the past 4 years.

Do as they suggest take temp. If you are overly concerned you can have the vet check to see if she is cleaned out.

Any chance something dragged it away (dogs or...) ? If she had failed to pass the afterbirth you would still see the sack hanging out of her. The sack (or at least part of it ) is still on the foal as it emerges so you would see it. It is possible for her to retain portions of it and expel the rest (that is always a bad thing) but she can not retain the entire thing IME. It is likely that she ate it. Congratulations on the new baby.

I would do a complete walk through your pasture for the placenta. It may be covered in dirt. Sometimes horses will paw at it and half bury it to hide the scent.

If she has retained it, she will probably show signs soon, so watch her. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back