Foal blanktes?

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

While i am not one for blanketing foals I am having an early foal this spring (march) and need to be prepared (and hope she isnt at all like her dam who is my rescue mare and still can take 40 min to be caught in a 10x20 pen) that is of coures assuming you dont do the tackle thing..
rolleyes.gif

ANYWAY.... who have you gotten your best fitting blankets from for babies I find they are usually way to big in the chest and the babies get caught up in them when getting up and down.

there has to be some great ones out there for indoor outdoor use... what have you liked

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
While i am not one for blanketing foals I am having an early foal this spring (march) and need to be prepared (and hope she isnt at all like her dam who is my rescue mare and still can take 40 min to be caught in a 10x20 pen) that is of coures assuming you dont do the tackle thing..
rolleyes.gif
ANYWAY.... who have you gotten your best fitting blankets from for babies I find they are usually way to big in the chest and the babies get caught up in them when getting up and down.

there has to be some great ones out there for indoor outdoor use... what have you liked

478056[/snapback]

I have to say that I love the baby blankets that I make. I've tested them for years on my babies. They FIT and will stay on, no matter what they gut up to, without binding & bunching up.

Why not have Laura sell you one SHE'S made!
yes.gif

In a pinch, we've purchased a dog sweater or blanket from either Petco or Petsmart.

MA

I like the ones that I sell Lisa because I have had horses get a foot out the chest part too and that made me crazy. I test drive all my stuff that I peddle first and the one I got for Timmy was perfect. He didn't get jumbled up in it at all but I didn't really need it in the first place. I love the wide belly band. It makes it stay in place very well.
wacko.gif

I have a few that I got from Laura and have been pleased with how they stayed on and fit............I got the "blankets" not just the fleece ones, but they are still very soft, moveable ext.........

i also don't like to blanket foals, I do for just a little while, maybe first day or two. But since I am expecting a late Jan foal coming up I think I am also going to go ahead and get a Kaglo heater too.

I use the Foal Saver blankets from Schneider's Tack and highly recommend them. They are quilted and snug fitting to keep them warm and so they can't get a hoof or leg stuck. They don't slip and are adjustable with velcro at the chest and belly for a perfect fit. They are also washable and come in miniature and large horse foal sizes. We have one coming in February (snow season) so we will use one for that foal. The link is below:

Foal Blankets

Last edited by a moderator:
We purchased 1 cordura w/fleece lining and one of the econo fleece blankets from PrimeDesign and they fit great! We didn't know which we would need for our weather is the reason we got both types.

I know PrimeDesign uses their own horses and foals as models for their products --makes me feel comfortable knowing that it is horse people using their own items.

Denisee

I'm an odd ball here, I bought a dog, weather proof, "Weatherbeta" brand and it fits very nice!

Mine is from Prime Design, I asked them to put a butt flap on mine and they did! Keeps it from scootching forward. I love the adjustable fronts and you can't beat velcro for adjusting to fit. It has a cordura outer shell and a flannel quilted lining, they can wear it in or out. Love it, gonna get another one.

Yep. mine are all in Weatha beata too- everything Velcro's on and it's easy to do at 1am with a wriggling foal!! I had five in rugs this year as they were all shivering like crazy and there were heavy frosts- I had to blanket the mares as well- that was a laugh a minute, getting rugs on mares that have never worn them in their lives and see no reason why they should learn, thankyou very much
smile.gif

I have a couple of Laura's foal blankets--one of the nylon ones with fleece lining, and then one of the fleece ones, & they do fit nice on the smaller foals.

Then I made some wool liners--custom fit, so they are a bit longer in the body & come down over the tail a bit; for our February baby this year, we needed something that was very warm & snuggly--mine had a wide fleece belly band & with that & the tail flap it kept the foal very warm.....over top the wool liner I used one of the blankets from Waters Tack. On the smallest Waters blanket I removed the buckle & sewed velcro onto the surcingle, so that then fit perfectly. On the next size up it fit well enough that I didn't have to change the surcingle--I used it as as.

Those foal saver blankets from Schneiders are great too, but the actual mini size one is too small for the B foals.

None of the above blankets caused any problems with the babies getting their front feet caught in the chest of the blanket. The newborns had no trouble whatsoever .

While I keep a couple foal blankets on hand, I usually rely on my Kalglo heater!

They learn to lay in "the spot" that's warm
wink.gif
and can move away when they need/want. I try very hard not to have to blanket but, I'm not in the climes that some of you must tolerate
new_shocked.gif
and if I were, I'D BE WEARING THE BLANKETS MYSELF.

Yes i am going to have to get a heater as well that is on my list by Christmas as well
smile.gif

IN A QUICK PINCH YOU CAN GO TO YOUR LOCAL PET STORE AND GET A DOGGY SWEATER, THEY WORK NICE TO. I USUALLY GET A LARGE AND AN EXTRA LARGE.

Latest posts

Back