Foal apparently got kicked in mouth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
Boys will be boys!! Our little 6 wk. old took a nip at my daughter and left a smear of blood on her. I started checking him all over and found a small piece of his gum missing pulled away from over the top of his right front tooth, hanging by a thread. I'm assuming the way those boys play that he got popped in the chops.

My question is do I need to flush this or do anything with it?? I've never encountered a mouth sore before with the horses so I'm not sure of the risk of infection here. He's eating fine. My kids have had far worse and I rinse them out with warm salt water. Not sure how I'd get him to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

He will probably be just fine but depending on the location and severity, you might want to run it past the vet - also for any potential/future tooth damage.

Jan

Thankyou Jan for being kind enough to respond to my post. This happened this evening and I do plan to talk to our vet in the morning. I was just wondering if I should do something tonight. At this age they're not as tough as they think they are.

I would think that you will be ok for now -- keep an eye on it -- more than likely he has been swishing around in the water already to get the icky taste of blood out so that will hopefully keep any food particles out of it
default_smile.png
I am sure he will be fine though
default_smile.png

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back