**Flys**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstTimeMiniMom

Reaction score
This is my first fly season and I need suggestions. My minis are not cooperative with the fly masks, and I'm not home during the day to re-apply spray constantly. Any suggestions? Do the feed supplements such as garlic, work well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

I hadva horse get dangerously anemic on garlic but she was so allergic to flies that I had to stall her all day and turn her out at night. The vet recommended the equi spot repellent that comes in a tube like flea meds for dogs. I put it on her back, legs, poll and belly and it worked wonders. I also invested in Spaulding labs fly predators and they made a world of difference. Many of my boarders use the clip on repellent that snaps to a halter and they love it.

There has never ever ever been any scientific evidence that garlic helps ward off flies although some people swear by it.

Also, you can buy all the fly spray on the planet and no matter what they advertise and how much you put on, its not going to keep your horses fly free too long.

Seriously, I would get those masks on your horses. Just work with them. Go slow and gentle and don't quit because they are giving you fits. They'll get over it eventually.

what kind of masks are you using? Are they the right size? Just curious. I know some horses can get the masks off in an instant and sometimes you have one horse in the field that enjoys taking the mask off of all his buddies... but sometimes you just need a different type of mask that is adjustable on the poll and under the chin with wide decent Velcro.

My guys love their masks and they come to me and stick their faces right into them. They never take them off. They fit well. I have two sets and I wash and hang frequently so they stay clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I eat a ridiculous amount of garlic (I'm Italian and looooove it) and Mosquitos adore me. One year my barn all went in on a 25# tub of garlic, and although the horses all had "pizza breath" it didn't make a difference with the flies.

So I don't really think it works.

Don't give up on making the horses wear their fly masks. Just keep putting them on. They need to be removed at least once a day to check their faces. Mine don't wear theirs at night, unless there is blowing dirt.

My gelding gets fly damage on his sheath. I try to keep him clean and I use SWAT around the area, which seems to help. Also I use it just inside his ears.

Another fly-prone area is under the belly; the skin is very thin there and flies like to eat there.

We are trying garlic this year (in moderation). We will see.

You might try moving to 8,000 ft. elevation. Fewer flies. Not nonexistent but definitely fewer. I know, I know, funny guy. Grateful one too.

I LOVE Tri-Tech 14. It's expensive, but it lasts better than any other fly spray. I also use those fly traps, as they do an awesome job of keeping the flies down.

I LOVE Tri-Tec too! Used it on my horse that was attacked by the pitbull a year and a half ago and I was so impressed. It kept the flies away from his open wound very well, where all the others, including Pyrana, needed to be re-applied often, Tri-Tec just a few times a week. I did make a cumberbun to cover the injury to help keep dirt and flies out of the injury, and after each cleaning the cumberbun would get a fresh spritz of T-T. Worked like a charm!

If you've got wounds or really sensitive areas, a fly repellent cream like SWAT or VIP will be ideal.

We use buglyte (mostly or all garlic) for our big horses and it works great. Nothing is gonna keep the bugs totally away but it definitely helps a whole lot.

Thank you all for your responses. I have been working with the fly masks, they will keep them on for about an hour before they assist each other in removing them and stomping them in the ground. Fortunately, I also bought the Tri-Tek, which works great. Thanks again for your suggestions.

You could try apple cider viniger with the mother it has worked for me I still see the flys but they are not bothering my guys I started with 1 table spoon and now give them 2 morning and night feed so 4 table spoons total a day

I actually pour apple cider vinegar into the water tub for my horses. It does seem to decrease the number of biting insects that annoy them and also keeps algae growth down in the tub. Thanks for the reminder Dein, it is that time of year again and I need to get a new jug.

edited to add: another bonus is that if my horses object to 'foreign' water when we travel all I have to do is add a bit of vinegar and it tastes like home.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I give it to all my criders horse goats and chickens

I like 'Endure' fly spray by Farnham. You apply it daily for like 2 weeks, then just every few days after that. Has a TON of sunscreen in it too, and my horses coats all look awesome on it!

I use a combination of fly predators, various fly traps placed around my barn and turnouts and daily cleaning up of all manure in an attempt to keep the fly breeding areas down to a minimum. Fly masks and fly spray daily along with SWAT around the sensitive areas. I have one gelding who is prone to habronema sores around his mouth and sheath so I try to be as proactive as possible before the fly season even begins here in northern California. I would like to try fly sheets and neck covers but we can get awfully warm at the peak of summer and my big gelding used to sweat miserably with his on so I've not yet tried it with the minis.

Latest posts

Back